What actually is the "standard" budget? Then AND Now

Max Field

Lately I've been having difficulty pricing various budgets for clients because of this rapid inflation we've experienced in 2022, however the numbers I give still feel way lower than what was expected 20 years ago before digital had entirely taken over. Our economy has experienced inflation however our shooting market seems to have experienced digital deflation.

If you all could type me some estimates ranges for the following, what was a standard budget range for:

• Broadcast quality 1 minute commercial (in 2000 and in 2022)
  • Broadcast quality infomercial (in 2000 and in 2022)
  • Live action half hour TV pilot (in 2000 and in 2022)
  • MTV-grade music video (in 2000 and in 2022)

Different perspectives from everyone across all markets would really help me get a stronger frame of reference for what I should be estimating for clients.

Thanks as always!

• Like 1

I am not a film professional, so I don't know anything. But is this of any help?

https://beverlyboy.com/tv-commercial-production/how-much-does-it-cost-to-produce-a-commercial/

If you can do something for a price that's cheaper than you think it should be, then go with it. It might be tempting to inflate it, but just be careful of competition. 

• Premium Member
On 12/16/2022 at 2:54 AM, Max Field said:

Lately I've been having difficulty pricing various budgets for clients because of this rapid inflation we've experienced in 2022, however the numbers I give still feel way lower than what was expected 20 years ago before digital had entirely taken over. Our economy has experienced inflation however our shooting market seems to have experienced digital deflation.

If you all could type me some estimates ranges for the following, what was a standard budget range for:

• Broadcast quality 1 minute commercial (in 2000 and in 2022)
  • Broadcast quality infomercial (in 2000 and in 2022)
  • Live action half hour TV pilot (in 2000 and in 2022)
  • MTV-grade music video (in 2000 and in 2022)

Different perspectives from everyone across all markets would really help me get a stronger frame of reference for what I should be estimating for clients.

Thanks as always!

How long is a piece of string? Budgets vary greatly, depending on what is required. It is impossible to set a generic minute price, you need to budget each job individually. Work with an experience producer who can help you put a budget together based on the script and current fees for crew and locations etc.

• Like 1

The BBC and ITV publish tariff guides, but the ones currently out there are rather elderly.

I have no idea of relative costs, other than a suspicion that American shows are expensive because they are over-produced, but high-end drama here now starts well north of £1M/hour.

An example I worked on, 6 hours, 91-day shoot. Even I could count maybe £50,000/day going out BTL the day I was on set, my fees, transport and accommodation costing about 5% of that. So £4.5M BTL. From some homework I did on the financing, the bond on that show was at least £5M. Double that for post and ATL seems an underestimate.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:50 AM, Uli Meyer said:

How long is a piece of string? Budgets vary greatly, depending on what is required. It is impossible to set a generic minute price, you need to budget each job individually. Work with an experience producer who can help you put a budget together based on the script and current fees for crew and locations etc.

I would say there is a minimum to some extent, especially given how buying film for a production used to be in the equation. A $1,500 commercial looks... like $1,500.