NEW ORWO STOCK - TEST RESULTS

8 minutes ago, Robert Houllahan said:

I honestly don't care if Orwo made a deal with ZUUL and had the formulas for the Agfa 320 smuggled out of Valhalla by Tinkerbell.

The only relevant thing is a new color film stock and there are some rolls being shot already so it appears to be real and not vapor. 

After that the only question is if they can make it consistently and at a fair price and stay in business.

it's not Agfa XT 320. I would say it's not even close. That was an 80s emulsion. Judging from the grain and how the dye image looks, NC 500 is more in line with how a - here it gets tricky as these are two incompatible systems - lipophilic coupler Version of Agfacolor Neu might have looked given another 20 years of improvement. The 320 XT comparison is not baseless, but I think the film needs its own category in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

So today I got this e-mail from them: 

Herewith the latest update! Firstly THANK YOU for your incredible patience. This year we’ve finished the manufacturing on THREE new colour products and are already lining up new black and white manufacturing runs for next year, as well. The delays have not been in the production at all, but in the final cartridging... After a lot of hard work, we have finally resolved (forever) our bottleneck with the all important cartridging/spooling.

We are very excited to confirm that we have established a completely new partnership for our photo-finishing -- the biggest bottleneck we have faced so far. After many meetings with potential vendors, we are now ready to power ahead with the long overdue packaging and shipping. This partnership will allow us to confection more than 1000-2000 canisters a day, almost immediately! See photos attached.

However, there are some slight changes that we wanted to make you aware of.

Firstly, pre-orders will ship directly from our three locations in Europe, USA and UK depending on your shipping address, meaning that these orders should get to you quicker than ever before when they were just shipping from one location.

Next, you spoke and we listened. Inspired by you, our ORWO photographic stock will now be packaged in an eco-friendly plastic packaging which can be recycled and in turn, making us as manufacturers, and you as consumers, more environmentally friendly every single time you use a reel of ORWO. This means that the films will no longer be packaged in DX coded steel canisters, and then inside a cardboard box. We will minimise waste and use materials that can be recycled!

We are still making a limited number of reels in the traditional packaging to satisfy the legacy users and previous orders already made. However, our aim is to always make sure that we are doing this at a strict minimum and then eventually eliminating, in the very near future, to reduce any/all unnecessary packing. However, regardless of its packaging you will always be able to enjoy the high quality results of ORWO film every single time you expose your shots.

However, to make up for the waiting time that you have so patiently endured, we would like to exclusively offer you a 20% discount on your next purchase at www.orwo.shop.

20% off Code: ORWOCORETHANKS

In addition to this, you may have noticed that our Colour Cine stocks have been released! Last night we started with a huge flash sale. Flash sales will become quite common place… basically every time that there is a bulk order for a movie, there will be a limited time flash sale - where the economy of scale of their buying power, will be passed to you, the consumer — this flash sale was created by a sale of bulk colour cine stock which is to be used on an upcoming WW1 feature film production in the UK in January. So always be keeping your eyes peeled for whenever we have these flash sales for all of our exciting new Motion Picture releases.

In fact, keep your eye out. Who knows, maybe we have an up to 50% off sale coming in the next 7 days for a limited time only. Who knows?

It’s an exciting time to be a user of ORWO Film and we appreciate your patience.

Have a fantastic Christmas and New Years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just curious if anyone has received their order yet? I can't even get a reply to emails.

It would have been nice to try some of this new stock but I will definitely stick with Kodak.

Edited by Uli Meyer
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Just curious if anyone has received their order yet? I can't even get a reply to emails.

It would have been nice to try some of this new stock but I will definitely stick with Kodak.

Nothing on my side! I have a few friends who have been waiting for "demo" film for months and haven't received it yet. 

The e-mail I got a while ago that posted here, said they were shipping "locally" so perhaps the holidays kinda screwed things up with getting freight shipments from Central Europe to places like UK or US. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone in the US confirm they’ve actually received the cine film they ordered?

Their most recent update says orders shipping to a US address will ship from somewhere within the US, but the only shipping option is from Europe for $65. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Bob Forsyth said:

Can anyone in the US confirm they’ve actually received the cine film they ordered?

Their most recent update says orders shipping to a US address will ship from somewhere within the US, but the only shipping option is from Europe for $65. 

There has been no film shipped yet. None of the testers got their film and none of the people who ordered got their film. 

I got an e-mail which I posted earlier, but since then, radio silence. 

• Premium Member

This is what I learned after finally speaking to someone at ORWO: The company making new film stock is called Filmotec and they are not affiliated with the company ORWO, even though they use their brand name. Both companies are based at Wolfen in Germany. Here is Filmotec’s website https://www.fiafnet.org/pages/Community/Supporters-ORWO.html

I called Filmotec numerous times but all I got was an answer machine. I left several polite messages to get in touch but nothing so far. 
The woman I talked to at the other ORWO company (their business is photo books etc) wished me “Good Luck” with a subtle hint of pity. 

• Premium Member

I think ORWO was the brand name in the old times too and Filmotec sold the actual film.

I ordered b/w stock directly from Filmotec couple of times some years ago and it was always very quick and straightforward ("hello I need this and this" > "ok we have this and this in stock, how many will we send" > " this many rolls would be great, here is my address and vat number" > "thank you here is the invoice we will send it asap" > paid the invoice > film shipped immediately )

I typically purchased only couple of rolls at a time and they still handled it like I would have been a bigger customer and I got the film rolls very quickly. 

Sad that the company has changed so much under the new management, it seems that there should be a middleman now who handles the small sales as the current system clearly dont seem working at all

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

I think ORWO was the brand name in the old times too and Filmotec sold the actual film.

According to the lady I spoke to at ORWO, Filmotec is using the name without permission and they've been in a long dispute. Either way, the Filmotec you talk about now seems to be run by either scammers or complete nincompoops.

Edited by Uli Meyer

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

According to the lady I spoke to at ORWO, Filmotec is using the name without permission and they've been in a long dispute. Either way, the Filmotec you talk about now seems to be run by either scammers or complete nincompoops.

This is the company I have bought film from. I have no idea about the current situation and if another company is using the name "Filmotec" by now. Is the VAT number and address the same?

52628792899_b2bf16ffdc_o.jpg

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

This is the company I have bought film from. I have no idea about the current situation and if another company is using the name "Filmotec" by now. Is the VAT number and address the same?

52628792899_b2bf16ffdc_o.jpg

Same company. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Ok lads, film has been shipped from HOENSBROEK, LB, which is in the Netherlands

Interesting! So I wonder where they are actually making the film? 

Tracking number in hand, so we should be seeing it soon! 

Mine's coming from the UK to Germany, so I guess it's not being made here! 

• Premium Member
Just now, Christian Flemm said:

Mine's coming from the UK to Germany, so I guess it's not being made here! 

Mine's has arrived from Cologne to my German address despite me asking them to send it to my UK address instead.