light bulb sockets for batten lights

• Premium Member

It's not the fragility that matters much -- the bulb is more fragile than the plastic socket -- it's the heat limitation. Most plastic sockets now have a warning label to not use more than a 60w tungsten bulb in them though if you turn off the light between takes, you can go higher. And of course, an LED bulb equivalent to a 60w tungsten bulb is much lower in wattage.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

You could probably use the plastic sockets with a little black wrap heat shield if you wanted a higher wattage bulb.

I've been having a great difficult time finding affordable porcelain sockets - if stores have them at all these days. I've used plastic to build all of my battens in recent months.

3 hours ago, Jay Young said:

You could probably use the plastic sockets with a little black wrap heat shield if you wanted a higher wattage bulb.

I've been having a great difficult time finding affordable porcelain sockets - if stores have them at all these days. I've used plastic to build all of my battens in recent months.

these are $4.00 a pop, but they're porcelain and the ease of mounting is what appeals to me: Satco 80/2164 Medium Base Socket E26 Surface Mount Porcelain 6" Leads Sign Receptacle (lighting2lightbulbs.com)

15 hours ago, Johanan Pandone said:

Those are cheap, but as you note, no mounting holes so the rig would be rather more makeshift. They also have crimped-on leads so the wiring might not be so easy.

• 2 months later...

I have had good experiences with metal screw bases. Lighter than the ceramic ones and a lot less annoying in terms of handling. The ceramic ones often often break when some force is applied, as in someone drops it during rigging. Maybe the ones I have found over here were a lot cheaper and of inferior quality, but no store bought ceramic e27 socket I have tried up till now was really fun to use.