SR3 Film Guide Update to Sapphire Rollers

Kevin Roy

• Premium Member

I think you’d probably need to replace the whole gate, which is a relatively straightforward procedure for an Arri technician (not something a user can do though since you need the tools to set it correctly and check flange depth and ground glass focus). 

I don’t know where you’d find one though. 

53 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I think you’d probably need to replace the whole gate, which is a relatively straightforward procedure for an Arri technician (not something a user can do though since you need the tools to set it correctly and check flange depth and ground glass focus). 

I don’t know where you’d find one though. 

Yes, it's the whole gate that would need to be swapped. One must exist somewhere, some place. That would be a nice upgrade I think.

If anyone has a lead, I'd be happy to follow up on it. Camera being parted out somewhere, maybe? Thanks all.    

This is probably one of those things where the only way to get the part is if you know someone at Arri in Germany, or if Andree (AM Camera) knows someone at arri in the US who might have the part. Its not uncommon for one to go directly to arri to find out something is discontinued/not in stock, but then someone else is able to find a way to get someone to look in the right box in the right back corner of the right warehouse. I suspect it would be quite challenging to build a new part given how precisely machined it seems to be, but thats a little speculative on my part. 

It may also just be that its not gettable anymore and the only solution is to get an advanced camera body. 

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm probably unnecessarily fixating on the update though it would be nice improvement to have it seems. My camera came to me with a new (or refurbished?) gate anyway, though apparently "aftermarket," which is what I was told. And I don't think I'm shooting enough for wear to be a real concern. And I'm considering just finding an Advanced body as suggested, just to satisfy my craving and perhaps mitigate any obsession that the internet has a special way of amplifying. ? All insight appreciated.