Did anyone else notice the subtle shift in aesthetic near the end of la la land? (I'm not talking about the 16mm scene)

Edith blazek

Hey so I just watched la la land with the knowledge that it was shot on 35mm film with panavision c and e series lenses and that it was inspired by older movies, it was an amazing experience but what I want to discuss is the epilogue or so called alternate ending as the movie shows what could've been between Mia and Sebastian's relationship (spoilers if you've haven't seen it)

I want to discuss is the shift towards a softer, more classical aesthetic that to me looks a lot closer to the movies that this film was inspired by (again, I'm not talking about the shot where 16mm film was used), as throughout most of the film I thought the image (I need to stress in terms of the standpoint strictly relating to camera and lens package and not in the million other factors that this film feels classical in) looked modern and not like the films Damien and Linus say they were inspired by but in the video I linked I feel like it has a more classic, romantic feel to the image, not unlike the films of the era they were inspired by, did anyone else notice this or was it just me and if anyone else did notice, do you know how it was done? Like was it a change in stock processing? Lenses? Was it here they used the c series while most of the movie used the e series? Let me know

• Premium Member

I personally don't seen any unusual techniques camera wise. That scene is just a 'what if' sequence, so it's soundstages throughout and kinda dreamlike. It's a good scene, great wrap-up, but nothing "technically" different then the rest of the movie.