Overexposing Kodak EXR on 35mm

Owen A. Davies

So I'm well aware that the general rule of thumb is to overexpose expired film about one stop per decade it's been expired. But in my experience shooting film the last two years, that rule is only about half of the truth. While how the film was stored also has a big say, generally I've found that the stock's ASA has a bit more influence on how the film should be exposed as opposed to just the age. Kodak EXR's stock is roughly 25-30 years expired now, but if anyone in these forums has worked with the stock in the past five years, I'd love to hear how you went about exposing each speed of film and the results you got. Do you think EXR 5293 200T could hold up with 2 stops of overexposure? Do you think EXR 5245 50D could hold up with 1 stop of overexposure? Let me know what results you guys have gotten and maybe some video links. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a loader on a music video that mostly used EXR 5245 50D. The DP rated the stock at 12 ISO. Most of the footage came out pretty solid. We did have some slight green tint in one of the rolls and some loss of contrast but overall it was a pretty acceptable image for the price.