16 mm Gevaert expired/unopened film

Istvan Ordog

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I think the expired very old stocks can be worth something like from half of the new FomapanR100 roll price to the full FomapanR100 roll price. But it needs to be shootable so the approximate condition of the stock needs to be known, otherwise it is only worth the collector value of the box and the film can.

You should either shoot a roll or two or take clip tests out of couple of randomly selected rolls. Develop them and see how they turn out. If there is an image of any kind, then someone will probably buy them if the price is right ?

Old film can have been in unknown storage conditions for decades and there is no way to know if it is shootable or not without actually opening some cans and actually testing it. I have purchased some old 16mm rolls in the past which were fuzed to solid blocks and could not get a single feet of film out of them, it can really get that bad is stored incorrectly in too warm temperatures so the only way is to test some and then you will get much better price out of it too ?

I think this should be regarded as a curiosity. You have two different stocks, 30 and 36, of different speeds so they might both need testing, and even if successful you can't assume that any other can is in good condition. Assuming you don't plan to use them yourself, as Aapo says they are a collector's item. Every other aspect of production (process, scan) would be at full price, so there would need to be a heavy discount for the risk. Unless the nature of the project takes it into account.

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, Doug Palmer said:

If nothing else there is plenty of blank leader for someone

old "photographically unusable" film can be brittle depending on how it was stored, but it is often useful for mag tests and such with less picky cameras like bolexes, krasnogorsks and such even if being weakened and slightly warped. often the unusable image quality was because of prolonged storage in too warm conditions which damages the base just as well as the emulsion

Edited by aapo lettinen

On 1/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, Doug Palmer said:

Just a metre cut off (or examined in a dim place) should reveal if the film is brittle or warped.  Or whether shrunk, by comparing alongside a piece of white leader.

Oh it will be shrunk. I haven't come across any film under 30 years old that isn't. The question is whether it's too shrunk to run in a camera, and you could only check that by running it. Up to 1/4% runs with care on a Steenbeck, albeit a bit noisily.

As you say coated white leader doesn't usually shrink, that's what I use as a gauge. I think polyester sound spacer is immune, but lightstruck black leader isn't.

An easy way is to cut 100 frames as a gauge, and remember that a perf is one-fifth of a frame in height, so if the 100 frame length of film is 1 perf shorter, it's shrunk by 1/5%.

Not that you need to know the percentage, just if it runs OK. But you sometimes find out things you don't need to know on this forum.