Can you take apart the Angenieux Fx0.7 Retro-Zoom pour 4x17 4x20 and just use the front portion without the rear barrel?

M Joel W

I doubt it, it's a multi-element reducer computed for that particular lens.

You could try it, but as I see it's €300, it's a pretty big punt. If they still exist, one of the cheap Chinese single-element wide-angle adapters for a fixed-lens digital stills camera might work if it's big enough not to vignette- I used one before I had a DSLR- but don't expect much.

I doubt that any of these have a big enough rear thread

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=wide+angle+adapter+lens+-filter&_sacat=625&LH_TitleDesc=0&_blrs=recall_filtering&_odkw=wide+angle+adapter+lens&_osacat=625&_sop=15

Edited by Mark Dunn

Thanks.

I think I got my hopes up reading about the TLS "FD-X" line.

The original 18mm K35 appears to be halfway between a novel design and modified 24mm FD L. It's got its front few elements (focusing group?) moved forward and a two-element wide angle converter placed in front. I think it has 95mm front threads.

TLS has a nice looking "full frame" 18mm lens that appears to be a 24mm FD L with an Angenieux wide angle converter. I figured it was using the one above because the FD L has a 72mm thread and so does it. But I think it's instead a much much larger one. (143mm front)

Single-element converters (and macro tubes) don't seem to do the trick. Too much barrel distortion. Multi-element converters like the Canon 72mm that is often used on Kowa anamorphic lenses are too heavy. 

I found a very very good but apparently uncoated 600g wide angle converter with 72mm threads but the front is 100mm (larger than I'd like) and it vignettes a bit even on S35. It might be the best I'll get. Performance is actually really good but the lack of coatings is an issue and I'd rather a 95mm front.

Edited by M Joel W