WT(Hell) is the name of this lighting attachment; Help

• Premium Member

So I know I have seen these before, but I of course don't have a photo, or a memory of what they were called-- but it's essentially a much longer version of a K5600 Soft tube---- I think all fabric, and i think I saw them (or fever dreamed them) on something like an M18. They probably had about a 24" Diameter and a lenght of a few feet--- kinda like a non-floating version of the helium sausage lights. They may have been @ cinegear a few years ago?

Am I crazy? What was this thing called.

Thats really cool! Made me think of the wag bag, I wonder what other inflatable light modifiers exist

the wag bag, helium filled black plastic bags that float to the ceiling for skirting overheads without grip (example at the link below)

Source Four Leko Tips & Tricks by Matthew Jeppsen - DP Notes - ProVideo Coalition 

• Premium Member
On 1/7/2023 at 9:27 PM, Johanan Pandone said:

Thats really cool! Made me think of the wag bag, I wonder what other inflatable light modifiers exist

the wag bag, helium filled black plastic bags that float to the ceiling for skirting overheads without grip (example at the link below)

Source Four Leko Tips & Tricks by Matthew Jeppsen - DP Notes - ProVideo Coalition 

There's the Lightstar stuff, whcih is nice as it doesn't require helium (which is very expensive) but does have a pump which has to run from time to time:

https://lightstar-lights.com/

Sourcemaker is helium

https://www.sourcemakerled.com/led-balloons

Grip clouds as welll

https://www.skylightballoon.com/helium-balloon-lights

but there's a bunch of options around.

This stuff is SOOOOO cool man! Kind of ballsy sticking hot lights inside a bag of flammable gas "Oh the humanity!" if one were to try to DIY something like this, what would be the best material to use? Most of these kind of look like ripstop, but how do you make that airtight?>

.... turns out a brush discharge ignited HYDROGREN on the Hindenburg. you just sent me down a rabbit hole on the internet. You're right. although helium is the second most abundant element in the universe it's non renewable. so is there any way to suck it out of a floatey grip bag and put it back in the tank?

7 hours ago, Johanan Pandone said:

so is there any way to suck it out of a floatey grip bag and put it back in the tank?

No, because of physics, unless you have a room full of complicated stuff.

Maybe the rabbit hole told you that Germany used hydrogen because the US had a helium monopoly and wouldn't supply it to anyone else.

Turns out that while the interior of the Hindenburg was filled with Hydrogen, the exterior was painted with their favorite rocket fuel.  It was less degraded by elements it faced day and night.

That is what ignited when sparked by static electricity.  I haven't a clue as to whether or not Hydrogen burns, but for damn sure rocket fuel will burn.

Some PBS documentary I watched many years ago indicated that the color of the fire as witnessed by spectators matched that of RF ingredients and was confirmed when original specifications long buried and forgotten revealed the ingredients of the painted outer surface.

It took many years before this was confirmed. 

But, a quick internet check of something I thought of, shows that this is still a controversial subject and may not satisfy everyone.

2 hours ago, Eric Eader said:

a quick internet check of something I thought of, shows that this is still a controversial subject and may not satisfy everyone.

I just came here to ask questions about camera stuff. Turns out this is the best forum I've ever participated in!