Looking for shutter angle data for 16mm cameras

Mike Owens

Greetings and happy new year. I’m trying to find out what the shutter angles are in several of my old 16mm cameras. It’s not as easy as I had anticipated. I own Bolex H16, H8, Keystone A-7, 9, 12 & 15, Revere 16/26, Kodak Cine E, Krasnogorsk K3, and a few other brands of older gear. I’m hoping to build myself a “cheat sheet” of sorts for exposure choices with different film stocks in these cameras - sticking with 24fps for consistency. Does anyone know a good resource for such information? The lack of information isn’t stopping me from filming, I just think it would assist me with calculating proper aperture settings in various lighting conditions. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Edited by Mike Owens
Grammar

They are probably all within the 150-180° range, but the difference between those two is under a third of a stop, and you can't set the aperture more accurately than that.

If you're just curious, fine, but it isn't too relevant to exposure.

The K3 is 150° btw. You probably already know that the H16 reflex prism absorbs 1/3 stop.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member
  • With the Paillard-Bolex H-16 it depends on the model; angles vary between the early 190 and 144 degrees (M);
  • same with Paillard-Bolex H-8, whether early, Standard or Reflex;
  • Keystone A-9 has 160 degrees;
  • Revere 16/26 have 133 degrees;
  • Ciné-Kodak E has 165 degrees.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Michael Tisdale does great work but the data aren’t waterproof. Paillard & Cie already have given wrong numbers. The H-16 S for example has a 170-degrees shutter opening. The instructions to the H-16 Reflex speak of 17,526 mm flange focal distance, also besides the fact.