X-H2S Fujifilm camera test

Alfonso Parra

Dear colleagues the article of X-H2S camera can be seen now on IMAGO website in English
and in Spanish on the ADFC page at:
https://adfc.com.co/evaluacion-y-estudio-cinematografico-de-la-camara-x-h2s-de-fujifilm/
video at:

https://vimeo.com/780919596

I hope it's of your interest

Best regards

Alfonso Parra AEC,ADFC
Member of the Technical Committee of Imago (International Federation of Cinematographers)
www.alfonsoparra.com
Tel Spain 34 639109 309
Tel Colombia 57 3115798776

• 5 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:40 PM, Phil Rhodes said:

What did you think of it?

Great camera, amazing colors, and highly versatile. I would choose it over a Sony anytime.

ProRes, All-Intra, 4.2.2 10-bit, and the wide range of bitrates are the technical aspects that I love. But those are just specifications.

Fuji has done an excellent job with the user experience (UX) and user interface (UI). I chose this camera over Sonys, Blackmagics, and even a Komodo (once) because of it. These were jobs with tight schedules and multiple locations in a single day. Switching between different setups (gimbal, tripod, and handheld) was extremely easy, and the absence of a recording time limit was a big help. The 1.5 hours of battery life were also impressive.

During an interview, I used an Anker 26,000mAh power bank to simultaneously power the camera, monitor, and transmitter. It lasted for 4 hours without any issues! There was no overheating, and I didn't notice any problems with sensor temperature during extended use. The power bank takes 3 hours to fully charge. If you get two batteries and two power banks, you'll be able to run all day.

There's something about this sensor. The footage I captured with it was noticeably different from my old XT3 with the same lenses. I can't quite tell why yet, but I find the H2's images more pleasing.

The colors are amazing, and grading the log footage is a breeze—much easier compared to Sony, etc. It also offers a nice dynamic range that works well for exteriors and window shots.

Lower bitrates are unusable. They have tons of artifacts that can ruin your footage. It's best to start with All-Intra 720.

The sensor stabilization is decent, although I don't use it much. If you're using an adapter, manually setting the lens focal length can yield better results.

While this camera may not be designed for high-end productions, I would still choose it over any "mirrorless" camera and some "Blackmagic Pocket" level jobs.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 1