useful bits you can DIY with a welder

Johanan Pandone

Hey guys, 

We're slow here at the shop where I work. (winter slump) I have access to a mig welder, drill press, some taps/dies and a band saw. I was thinking of fabbing up some little bits and peices that could come in handy for rigging. maybe start with making some wall plates that have an 3/8" nut welded to them that I can easily screw a baby pin or other receivers into? What are some other peices that are simple to make with the equipment I have listed?

image.jpeg.68535ad3759910b8f9b489b9cb541b78.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 1/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, Johanan Pandone said:

Hey guys, 

We're slow here at the shop where I work. (winter slump) I have access to a mig welder, drill press, some taps/dies and a band saw. I was thinking of fabbing up some little bits and peices that could come in handy for rigging. maybe start with making some wall plates that have an 3/8" nut welded to them that I can easily screw a baby pin or other receivers into? What are some other peices that are simple to make with the equipment I have listed?

flat alu frames (for example 3x3 ) would be pretty nice to make if welding the aluminium would not be too difficult.

for wall plates etc stuff, I would look for something which is handy but not easy to get from stores. maybe even designing your own or making some wild experiments?

• 2 weeks later...

You might like to examine bridges which allow two cameras to be mounted to a single tripod head. I made one out of 7/16" aluminium flatbar with plain holes for the camera base screws and a threaded hole in the centre for the tripod head's own thumbscrew/tensioner. Captive waisted base thumbscrews for the cameras would be better. For that you would need to used 3/8" flatbar, threaded camera base screwholes and a half thickness clearance for the threads of the screws in the top halves of the holes. My application was to use it to mount a wide-view sighting camera and a narrow-view camera with a 1000mm lens for agile display aircraft in flight. Other folk might use it to mount a lamp and camera.