Aaton LTR drive system and motor?

James welton

• Premium Member

Hi, does anyone know or perhaps have photos of a dismantled Aaton LTR?

im interested specifically in what the drive system is, does it run like a bolex with a 1 revolution per frame ratio or something else. Also I know the motors changed between models but any details on known motors used in them would also be handy.

Thanks

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, David Sekanina said:

Correct, you get one frame per revolution on Aaton cameras. The drives were custom built for Aaton, not off the shelf drives, and changed with almost every model.

3446363.thumb.JPG.c3835bd493f2e0862e592cca7f62d21f.JPG

346346336.JPG.8c9a36c9b98e2f1e3a79986785574afe.JPG

That’s great thanks David. Any idea on on the specs of the motors? I’m also wondering the motor was if the motor was direct or via any gearing

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, James welton said:

Any idea on on the specs of the motors? I’m also wondering the motor was if the motor was direct or via any gearing

by my experience it is not possible to just switch a motor drive of a crystal sync motor to a different one without tuning the electronics. most often one needs to change from half to 3/4 or even all of the electronics of the camera if wanting to use a "slightly different but almost the same" motor with it if it needs to function as stably and accurately as the original. In the case of the LTR it would be cheaper to purchase couple of serviced fully working S16 LTR kits with accessories to replace the non-working body than to develop new electronics for the single one if the motor need to be changed to a different one and thus needs new electronics. additionally it would take about 2 years or so  to make it work correctly and be as stable as the original.

so I think the only option is to use the same motor drive than the camera originally had and other options just too expensive and time consuming to try. I think making a new motor system would be a minimum of from 20k to 30k in usd. doing it by yourself will cost about the same but will take more years than two, likely from 4 to 5 years or so