Anamorphic Knights BMPC4K + Kowa 8z (Short Film)

Anamorphic Knights is short film (test) using a Kowa 8z Anamorphic lens adapter combined with a Blackmagic 4K Production Camera.

I've been looking at much older camera systems for a good few years now. Recently picked up a Blackmagic Production Camera 4K and started with this first test. 

Is it me or does the image feel a lot more organic/analogue like compared to newer cameras?

Be great to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Bulent Ozdemir
Incorrect Link
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Abdul Rahman Jamous said:

Brother it is a matter of taste. For me it felt as if the light is cutting the head away from the rest of the body. I would feel better if  the camera angle has changed or if the light was removed.

For sure. So interesting. Appreciate it ?

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 12:46 AM, Abdul Rahman Jamous said:

Brother it is a matter of taste. For me it felt as if the light is cutting the head away from the rest of the body. I would feel better if  the camera angle has changed or if the light was removed.

ok..he walking in garage..great shots!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/2/2023 at 6:07 PM, Bulent Ozdemir said:

Anamorphic Knights is short film (test) using a Kowa 8z Anamorphic lens adapter combined with a Blackmagic 4K Production Camera.

I've been looking at much older camera systems for a good few years now. Recently picked up a Blackmagic Production Camera 4K and started with this first test. 

Is it me or does the image feel a lot more organic/analogue like compared to newer cameras?

Be great to hear your thoughts.

To me it looks like Red One -ish, that is pretty characteristic to the Production Camera 4k (some blue/cyan colours get a weird tint as well as some other colours have a bit weird hue. And clipping is pretty harsh, dynamic range not super high as well as relatively high noise levels in that kind of environment compared to what one could get with a more modern camera). So it definitely looks like "a little older camera" and "pre-2015" to me but definitely not analogue or organic in the "normal sense" that kind of description is often used for.

I think I know what you mean by it feeling "analogue". The desqueezed noise pattern makes the noise horizontally stretched (each individual pixel of noise is stretched horizontally making it a "horizontal streak" instead of a square pixel) and that shows if watching it in 4k, adding a weird noise pattern over the image. that kind of stretched digital noise resembles analog video noise artifacts a little bit and it thus add just a little bit of "composite video feel" to the footage.

So I think the effect is happening because you are desqueezing and shooting at relatively high ISO (for that camera model) at the same time. You could probably enhance the effect if trying to get more in-camera noise

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

To me it looks like Red One -ish, that is pretty characteristic to the Production Camera 4k (some blue/cyan colours get a weird tint as well as some other colours have a bit weird hue. And clipping is pretty harsh, dynamic range not super high as well as relatively high noise levels in that kind of environment compared to what one could get with a more modern camera). So it definitely looks like "a little older camera" and "pre-2015" to me but definitely not analogue or organic in the "normal sense" that kind of description is often used for.

I think I know what you mean by it feeling "analogue". The desqueezed noise pattern makes the noise horizontally stretched (each individual pixel of noise is stretched horizontally making it a "horizontal streak" instead of a square pixel) and that shows if watching it in 4k, adding a weird noise pattern over the image. that kind of stretched digital noise resembles analog video noise artifacts a little bit and it thus add just a little bit of "composite video feel" to the footage.

So I think the effect is happening because you are desqueezing and shooting at relatively high ISO (for that camera model) at the same time. You could probably enhance the effect if trying to get more in-camera noise

ei ne kuule kaikki tarvi olla hyperrealismia.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Harri Haapakangas said:

ei ne kuule kaikki tarvi olla hyperrealismia.

No tässähän kysyttiin mielipidettä että näyttääkö mielenkiintoiselta kuvalta jollain lisäarvoa tuottavalla tavalla ja mun mielestä näyttää just siltä mitä onkin eli kokeilun vuoksi kuvattu kymmenen vuotta vanhalla härvelillä ja sitten näyttää kymmenen vuotta vanhalta kuvalta. 

Itse en sinällään näe mitään lisäarvoa vanhoilla videokameroilla kuvaamisessa ellei kyseessä ole joku pixelvision tai muu todella vanha viritys. Videokuvaamisessa ylipäätään pyritään tekemään teknisesti "läpinäkyvää" kuvaa joka ei liiaksi kiinnitä huomiota tekniikkaan itseensä, ja silloin pienet vajavaisuudet kuvassa nähdään nimenomaan virheenä eikä "mielenkiintoisena ilmiönä". Efektin pitäisi olla todella voimakas että siitä olisi jotain tarinankerronnallista hyötyä ja se ei toteudu liian uusilla kameroilla, silloin lopputulokseksi jää vain että "näytti ihan hyvältä, kamera olisi voinut olla vähän parempi kun oli kohinaa ja fpn vaikka valoa olikin suht hyvin".

Hinta-laatusuhde 10v vanhoissa laitteissa voi olla vielä ihan hyvä mutta jos bmpc4k maksaa vajaan tonnin ja kahteen tonniin saa nykyään 4 kertaa suorituskykyisemmän kameran jossa enemmän dynamiikkaa, parempi väritoisto ja kymmenen kertaa vähemmän kohinaa niin silloin se hintaero tuntuu aika pieneltä eikä mikään ihme että niitä vanhoja malleja ei haluta yleensä käyttää

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

No tässähän kysyttiin mielipidettä että näyttääkö mielenkiintoiselta kuvalta jollain lisäarvoa tuottavalla tavalla ja mun mielestä näyttää just siltä mitä onkin eli kokeilun vuoksi kuvattu kymmenen vuotta vanhalla härvelillä ja sitten näyttää kymmenen vuotta vanhalta kuvalta. 

Itse en sinällään näe mitään lisäarvoa vanhoilla videokameroilla kuvaamisessa ellei kyseessä ole joku pixelvision tai muu todella vanha viritys. Videokuvaamisessa ylipäätään pyritään tekemään teknisesti "läpinäkyvää" kuvaa joka ei liiaksi kiinnitä huomiota tekniikkaan itseensä, ja silloin pienet vajavaisuudet kuvassa nähdään nimenomaan virheenä eikä "mielenkiintoisena ilmiönä". Efektin pitäisi olla todella voimakas että siitä olisi jotain tarinankerronnallista hyötyä ja se ei toteudu liian uusilla kameroilla, silloin lopputulokseksi jää vain että "näytti ihan hyvältä, kamera olisi voinut olla vähän parempi kun oli kohinaa ja fpn vaikka valoa olikin suht hyvin".

Hinta-laatusuhde 10v vanhoissa laitteissa voi olla vielä ihan hyvä mutta jos bmpc4k maksaa vajaan tonnin ja kahteen tonniin saa nykyään 4 kertaa suorituskykyisemmän kameran jossa enemmän dynamiikkaa, parempi väritoisto ja kymmenen kertaa vähemmän kohinaa niin silloin se hintaero tuntuu aika pieneltä eikä mikään ihme että niitä vanhoja malleja ei haluta yleensä käyttää

Ok.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:59 PM, aapo lettinen said:

I really liked reading the detailed break down, especially the horizontal streak break down! Thanks. The cam was def being pushed to its limits in terms of ISO and DR. Do you own or have used the BMPC4K?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Bulent Ozdemir said:

I really liked reading the detailed break down, especially the horizontal streak break down! Thanks. The cam was def being pushed to its limits in terms of ISO and DR. Do you own or have used the BMPC4K?

I have used BMPC4K quite a lot some years ago, was not my own camera but was allowed to borrow it for extended periods. I mostly shot nature material like landscapes etc where the colour reproduction and dynamic range shows very clearly

• Like 1