For sale: Zeiss 16mm Mk1 Superspeed and a 25mm ZF.2 f/2 Cine Mod lens

Edward P. Davee

7 hours ago, Edward P. Davee said:

16mm Superspeed Mk1 with Pl mount, 80mm front. serviced by Duclos in 2021. *read description

Hey Edward,

I read on your listing the work that Duclos did. I'm really curious what this job cost. I have a couple of lenses that may need similar work. Separately, I didn't realize that MK I sspeeds needed de-clicking. Odd.

Another thought. Those familiar will see that it is an Arri-B mount with a PL adapter. Those unfamiliar may assume it is a PL mount.

Cheers,

Gregg.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
fix the formatting

Hi Gregg,

I thought the clicking was odd as well! I didn’t know that any came with click stops either! 
thanks for clarifying  the B-mount/PL adapter situation  I’ll make a note on the eBay as well.  I probably shouldn’t assume that all folks know that MK1’s we’re all B-mount. 

the Duclos work came out to $925. I spent $1250 on the lens prior to that not knowing about the chip until they told me. My loss. 

8 hours ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

Hey Edward,

I read on your listing the work that Duclos did. I'm really curious what this job cost. I have a couple of lenses that may need similar work. Separately, I didn't realize that MK I sspeeds needed de-clicking. Odd.

Another thought. Those familiar will see that it is an Arri-B mount with a PL adapter. Those unfamiliar may assume it is a PL mount.

Cheers,

Gregg.

I meant to quote reply that. 

1 hour ago, Edward P. Davee said:

...the Duclos work came out to $925. ...

Doesn't seem so much when you look at the job list from your eBay...

WORK PERFORMED:

Dis-assembled to access focus section.

Cleaned all components.

Sprayed and baked threads.

Re-lubed focus and iris.

De-clicked iris.

Tightened and secured B mount.

Stripped and re-painted front optics edge paint. Cleaned and aligned optics (best effort). Re-collimated.

Mine just need the focus cleaned and re-greased. Everything else is good.

Chatting keeps your item at the top of the Cinemarket page...

Gregg.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

Doesn't seem so much when you look at the job list from your eBay.

Yes that price seems reasonable. The spraying and baking of the helical is probably the biggest part, can be tricky and time-consuming to get right. Many 16mm format Super Speeds end up with a bit of wear to the threads that can cause image shift and focus backlash, and this is the only cure, other than rehousing. 

Gregg, feel free to PM me about Zeiss Super Speed service, I fix these all the time and I’m a lot closer than Duclos. Get a quote from them first if you like.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Yes that price seems reasonable. The spraying and baking of the helical is probably the biggest part, can be tricky and time-consuming to get right. Many 16mm format Super Speeds end up with a bit of wear to the threads that can cause image shift and focus backlash, and this is the only cure, other than rehousing. 

Gregg, feel free to PM me about Zeiss Super Speed service, I fix these all the time and I’m a lot closer than Duclos. Get a quote from them first if you like.

Thanks Dom. I'll message you in a little bit.

The spray and bake method sounds interesting. My initial thought was that it would be hard to control the build thickness. May be an art to it. Chemical plating, like electroless nickel, is super precise, and cheap. I thought it might be an option,  but maybe you need thicker layers, a quicker process. 

2 hours ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

Thanks Dom. I'll message you in a little bit.

The spray and bake method sounds interesting. My initial thought was that it would be hard to control the build thickness. May be an art to it. Chemical plating, like electroless nickel, is super precise, and cheap. I thought it might be an option,  but maybe you need thicker layers, a quicker process. 

What does “spray and bake” mean on a lens? Does that refer to adding thickness to a layer or channel that’s been worn down too much?

19 minutes ago, Edward P. Davee said:

What does “spray and bake” mean on a lens? Does that refer to adding thickness to a layer or channel that’s been worn down too much?

If moving parts are worn they can be built up. The spray and bake I think is to build up the focus threads. Guessing.

Dom might have done this or worked with people that do it, so he may have some insights. I was curious so googled and found...

https://www.finishing.com/352/25.shtml

The last post is ...

"Our Company, ARRI, is the world distributor of Zeiss motion picture lenses. The use of Emralon 330 has been a common practice by Zeiss in the repair of lenses that wear from use. It is sprayed on and then baked. After the coating is hardened, it must be lapped in with the matting part."

George Schmidt
- Blauvelt, New York

What the substance is I didn't keep looking.

Electroless nickel plating, which might have application to this problem,  I have had done for some parts that needed precise fit into bushes. It was a few days turnaround and $40 min charge. I think they could control the thickness to with a couple microns. Don't know if really thick layers were a problem, but think 10 or 15 microns was ok. 

The focus thread would have to be removed from the housing.

Just thoughts.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
formatting, more info
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Edward P. Davee said:

We use a product called Emralon to rebuild worn focus threads, it’s sprayed on in layers and baked to harden. Then the threads are lapped back. As I mentioned before, it reduces focus backlash and image shift. 

• Like 2