Arri SR3 powering on issue. No LCD Characters, Run light stays red. Video link in post.

James Gannon

I'm having an issue with powering on my Arri SR3 and was looking for advice.

I'm not sure if this is a simple fix (potentially a fuse), but when I turn on the camera, the LCD displays no characters and the indicator/run light slowly fades to red and stays red. If I leave it in this state for around 5 mins, the camera eventually comes to full power.
A couple of things I have tried...

- I'm using the Elokuvakonepaja SR adapter to power it. I've tried 3 different batteries and have gotten the same results.
- The batteries I am using are Smallrig 99 Vmount batteries
- I've tried different combinations of powering accessories with the batteries, including attaching no accessories whatsoever to the camera.
- Here is a video showing the powering on issue and some photos of my powering set up. 
https://imgur.com/a/i2BBiCi

I'd appreciate any advice on this...I'm afraid to keep messing with it and further damaging the electronics of the camera.

If someone who does tech word doesnt reply by tomorrow, I'd email Andree at AMcamera.com and/or Rick at Visual Products. Between the two of them Im sure they've seen everything.

I know Andree had a guy that could do some board level repairs, so I'd start there.

Definitely check the battery adapter output port to the camera with a multi meter though. elokuvakonepaja step up adapters run around 26V (a little higher on a full charge). If yours is outputting 14.8 instead, then thats your problem and you need to send it back to them for repair/replacement, though TBH I feel like the SR3 wouldnt even light up with 14.8V. 

Thanks Robin.

I actually emailed Andree earlier today. He just served this camera a few months ago, so he was the first person I reached out to. Waiting to hear back since its a holiday weekend.

I used a voltmeter to test the battery adapter and was getting 26.4 for all 3 batteries. Here is a pic of that and the smallrig battery display reading. Maybe that has some information on it that someone (other than me) will be understand.

https://imgur.com/a/cqFDe0I

Yeah I think it has to do with the electric board. Here is a video showing the difference in how the camera acts with battery vs plug in power. 

I just had everything serviced from AMCamera a few months ago so curious if I did something wrong to cause this? Or maybe its just old electronics going bad.

Very strange update. I left the camera plugged into to constant power overnight. Camera was off. When I woke up and turned it on, it turned on completely, as if there was never an issue. I trouble shot, turning it on and off, removing the plug in power, trying with the batteries. No matter what I do, the camera is working fine now. Its very confusing. 

It's great that its working correctly now, but I'm afraid this issue could manifest again.

• Premium Member

Happens to repair technicians all the time. ?

I'd wait to hear what Andre says, since he just serviced it and will know better than the internet. It's very hard to diagnose faults like this without having the thing in front of you.

• Upvote 1

James - I hope you don't have an issue with me posting on your thread but since we're on SR3 electronics issues. I'm having this issue with my SR3 where the counter is completely off the rails. You can see it's set to  24fps and counting in FT and it's telling me i'm burning through hundreds of feet in a matter of seconds. Anyone see this before?
(same result with magazine on/off and battery or plug power)

https://vimeo.com/801734914

Edited by Gabe Diaz

• Premium Member
On 2/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, James Gannon said:

Very strange update. I left the camera plugged into to constant power overnight. Camera was off. When I woke up and turned it on, it turned on completely, as if there was never an issue. I trouble shot, turning it on and off, removing the plug in power, trying with the batteries. No matter what I do, the camera is working fine now. Its very confusing. 

It's great that its working correctly now, but I'm afraid this issue could manifest again.

Usually when components go bad, if you keep them powered on for a while, you may see "different" outcomes. I'm certain if you let it sit for a few weeks unplugged, it will resort back to the non-working condition. Andree has a full time tech working mostly on SR boards because there are so many issues.