2-Perf Sync-Sound cameras

Boris Kalaidjiev

• Premium Member

Horses for courses. Some amazing films were shot on BLs, so I'd consider it, if the rental is significantly cheaper - or even buy one. Alan Gordon sold a 2perf BL two years ago for around 14K.

Edited by David Sekanina
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

As others have stated, there aren't very many options. 

I also vastly prefer 3 perf over 2 perf. Unless you're shooting a feature and you need the cost savings, S35mm 3 perf is a larger negative AND allows for multiple aspect ratio pulls. You aren't restricted to 2.40:1 which is kinda silly to buy a camera that is. I actually dislike that format because you lose so much height. 2:1 is a perfect medium and what you see most streaming shows use these days to get a bit of a wider image, without having huge black bars on the screen.

I personally wouldn't own a Penelope unless it was free because they are very tricky to deal with, especially in 2 perf mode. You need a really good loader and a very knowledgable operator. Also, service/maintenance is going to become a big issue in the very near future as parts become less and less available. The only parts are in Europe and there are so few of them left, if you break a knob or something silly, it make take months to get OR you'd have to make one yourself. Forget about blown boards and failed motors. It's really a conundrum and it's a sad issue to have with such a brilliantly designed camera. It was way ahead of its time when released, but because the development stopped at the first gen, it never saw the updates needed to make it more of a commercial camera. At least with an Arricam or BL, you're using a workhorse with lots of spares chilling in cabinets all over the world. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yes something which is simple enough and common enough that there is possible to repair it if needed and would be even marginally possible to manufacture at least some new parts if absolutely necessary.

For example, the BL is "simple enough" design that it might still make sense to develop new electronics for it if not possible to get replacement boards. Would be very costly but would still make sense because the camera body design and board placement and limited original features. I am sure I could use some of my designs as a base for bl electronics to speed up the design so that it could be made for reasonable price if having like 10 cameras or more to update.

With something like arricam or penelope, would be absolutely insane to try to make any new electronics for it and the camera body would be effectively impossible to repair if original boards not available. Could cost hundreds of thousands to do and take years to make anything useful for it

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, aapo lettinen said:

For example, the BL is "simple enough" design that it might still make sense to develop new electronics for it if not possible to get replacement boards.

Bingo, in fact I'd argue its one of the best 35mm sync sound cameras to "update" because it's so simple. One motor drives the entire thing. 

• 4 months later...