Schneider 28mm Xenon Arriflex for 35IIC

Ingo Schmoll

Hey all, I bought a cheap Schneider 28mm Xenon Arriflex for my 35IIC. it fits the standard mount fine, but looking through the viewfinder my impression is the image circle doesnt completely cover the 35IIc. Was there also a version of the Schneider 28mm Xenon Arriflex for the 16mm cams? Thank you! 

• Premium Member

I’m pretty sure it’s a 35mm format lens.

There is a 28mm Schneider Cine Xenon listed in the Arriflex 16S/B sales brochures, but I believe it is the same lens as the 28mm also listed in Arriflex 2C brochures. 

You can easily check the image circle size by holding the lens up to a patterned light source like a slatted window and holding a piece of paper where the film plane would be (about 5cm behind the lens mount seat). You will see a circular image that is either big enough to cover a 35mm frame or only big enough for 16mm.

There's a lot of information here:

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com

If I remember correctly, that lens was designed to cover Academy but not S35. Its image circle is smaller than the 28mm standard speed or 25mm S2/S3, which are retro focus while the Schneider is a planar design? Anyway I think it will cover the film but might not cover look around room in the viewfinder. (I have not used a 35IIC.) The 25mm f1.4 is for 16mm however. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Ingo Schmoll said:

Thank you Dom, Where would I find copies of these brochures? Sounds interesting ! ?

Yeah the Pacific Rim Camera site  has some great old literature in their reference section:

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/rlrindex.htm

Schneider used to have a lot of historical information about their lenses on their website but they removed it about ten years ago unfortunately.