Rare Eastman Kodak demo film for Vision 320T and 500T

Wanted to share this film I had in my collection. I never seen this one online anywhere and I'm sure a lot of you would love to view it.

The film is titled “Vision, the realization of your imagination” and was released around 1996 to introduce their new Vision motion picture color negative lineup. Narrated by John Sawyer, it demonstrates Vision 320T and 500T.

The transfer was made on RobinoScan from a 5244 Color Intermediate release print. In one of the test they push the exposure -5 to +5 stops so the highlights are hard, but that's the way the print is and the transfer is not clipping.

I'm sure some of you saw this test film back in the day - would love to hear about it.

Enjoy!

Edited by Robino Jones
Added something..
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, John Rizzo said:

5244 is not release print stock, it is intermediate stock designed to make a Interpositive from the ocn or a internegative from a interpositive. 

Thanks for pointing that out it's fixed now.

He mentions at 2.35min "You are viewing either a release print from 5244 EXR color intermediate film or direct video transfer from the camera negative” - I added the note at the beginning to make sure people knew which one they were watching.

• Premium Member

Yes, the narrator is saying that the viewer (in a theater) is watching a projection print made off of a dupe negative rather than off of the original negative.

I remember this presentation.

Vision 320T (1996) was a replacement for their lower-contrast 200T 5287 (1994), which was Kodak's response to Agfa XT320. Unfortunately Agfa got out of the motion picture camera negative market right around this time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I could only watch it in short spurts as internet is terrible here. But looked very nice...post up more film scans!

What is going on with the RobinoScan? I had never heard of it. Did you build it for yourself or to market the scanner?

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:38 AM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

What is going on with the RobinoScan? I had never heard of it. Did you build it for yourself or to market the scanner?

I built it for myself, no plan for making commercial machines but may do one or two for close friends. 

On 3/10/2023 at 5:50 AM, Robin Phillips said:

is it just the nature of the transfer or did the pre vision 3 stocks just have a little more character? 

I thought the same thing. I think that the reason why this looks better than a lot of modern films is because there is no DI. Or, perhaps more likely, the telecine is not taken from the camera negative. 

This 'raw' look (not to be confused with harshness) is evident in a lot of 1990s TV shows. Just look at any Seinfeld episode. It's all telecine, no DI. They recorded the print, not the camera original, IIRC.

Looking at this presentation is pleasurable to the eye. It's also a shock to the system, as I really do prefer this unadulterated look to a lot of modern productions, film or digital.

IMHO, staying with film, or going back to it, has suffered mission creep. We have forgotten why exactly we still use or prefer film. I think this reminds us as to what the original mission is.

Edit: Interesting how the presentation claims that 320T gains nothing from overexposure. I would have assumed that graininess would have been reduced? It's hard to tell with a SD video.

Edited by Karim D. Ghantous