How to film a television screen properly

I am looking to shoot a scene where a person is going to be watching TV and I'd like to understand all the available options when it comes to fighting or avoiding flickering. Ideally I'd like the TV to be an old CRT one, in which case is there any other way apart from screen replacement? If I go down this route of screen replacement is the green screen the best way to do it? Are the results believable?

I'd like to understand other options too even if it's a projector (doubt it) or a modern LED display that will do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Michalis,

You don't indicate whether it is film or digital.

The 16mm/S16mm Aaton XTR Prod has the ability to phase/sync the TV screen with the action around it.

Not having done it, it is my understanding, that with digital there has to be a cable (maybe wireless) sync to the camera meaning that camera must be able to adjust itself to the TV signal.

Genlock is possibly involved.

Hopefully others will respond with more detailed recommendations.

Hope this tidbit helps.

• 9 months later...

I am going to shoot green screen footage to superimpose on other video footage (2 couples dancing, superimposed on 2 couples dancing). Does anyone have any suggestions for lighting the green screen on a relatively small budget? And if I just go with plain old clamp lights that I have here, can you recommend what type of bulbs to use, including what wattage, lumens, LED?, indoor floodlights?  Thanks.