Kodak Vision 3 & Color Chart funky colours

Hi everyone, 

I recently shot some tests on Kodak 7219 and 7207 and had an X-Rite Video chart in the shot. I was hoping that when I bring the footage in Resolve and go to the Color page and select my chart from the Color Match settings everything would work out nicely. But I ended up having very funky colours, I am not sure if it is because this is a more digital chart or something else. Another thing that I wasn't sure was my source gamma (I guess the scanner's one) but I tried all the options available and still not luck. 

The 2 scanners that I have tested this on are ArriScan and LaserGraphics Director 10K. From the first I got 4K DPX files log and from the LG I got 2k ProRes 4444 log.

What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks! 

Boris

Edited by Boris Kalaidjiev

• Premium Member

I've never been able to make them work either. Resolve needs to know exactly the source and seeing as the source in this case is a random image, it just won't work. If you shot with an Alexa and applied the proper LUT, it would work fine. There is no magical LUT for film scanners unfortunately. 

I've got it working close to where it should be, but still not perfect. I scanned something at a high gamma level of 2.4, then chose rec709 for all the 3 options. 

It still made it contrasty and a little saturated. But it's on the right track!

Pictor Gamma2.4.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Wise said:

I've got it working close to where it should be, but still not perfect. I scanned something at a high gamma level of 2.4, then chose rec709 for all the 3 options. 

It still made it contrasty and a little saturated. But it's on the right track!

This was ektachrome BTW. I'll have to give vision3 another go 

• Upvote 1

• Site Sponsor
17 hours ago, Andrew Wise said:

This was ektachrome BTW. I'll have to give vision3 another go 

Was the Ektachrome run as E6 or as a Cross Process?

If it was a Cross process then the color chart would not even remotely be workable.

5 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Was the Ektachrome run as E6 or as a Cross Process?

If it was a Cross process then the color chart would not even remotely be workable.

It was E6, tetenal kit at home, so variable/depending on my skill lol

• Site Sponsor
On 3/13/2023 at 4:30 AM, Andrew Wise said:

It was E6, tetenal kit at home, so variable/depending on my skill lol

OK then it would be normal.

If it was Cross Processed the color shift and clear base would make the color chart be very far off from normal.

3 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

OK then it would be normal.

If it was Cross Processed the color shift and clear base would make the color chart be very far off from normal.

What’s the incentive to cross process it? I just don’t understand the appeal when we have such a variety of negative stocks. 
(I’m only very new to shooting film) 

• Site Sponsor
2 hours ago, Andrew Wise said:

What’s the incentive to cross process it? I just don’t understand the appeal when we have such a variety of negative stocks. 
(I’m only very new to shooting film) 

We run both E6 and ECN2 at Cinelab so IDK but some people like the Cross processed look with the color shift and added contrast. Some older Ekta stocks can really only be cross processed also as they just don't run well or at all as E6.

Otherwise many labs just don't run E6 chemistry so they can only run Ektachrome as a cross process.