A-Minima + Denz VCSC D2000 or GoPro with C-mount

Boris Kalaidjiev

Hi everyone, 

I am about to shoot a feature and the second camera that I am getting is an A-Minima. But for the purpose of the shoot I won't be able to look through the viewfinder so I am really relying on the Video Tap for framing. But I am not sure how great the BW video tap is for lowlight situations with 500T outdoors and a lot of NDs. So far I have 2 ideas that are at my disposal not sure if either one of them works.

1) Try to fit a Denz VCSC D2000 video tap on the the camera but I think that might defeat the purpose of the camera being small. 

2) I have a GoPro10 with a C-mount (I have attached a photo). Not sure if when the original BW Video Tap is removed if it could be somehow be custom modified to accept the C-Mount GoPro. Or to somehow attach the GoPro directly to the viewfinder? What is the mount on the A-Minima that accepts the video tap, is there a name or is it something proprietary to Aaton?

The GoPro sensor size is 1/2.3  (6.17 x 4.55 mm) is this too small to cover the whole frame?

My main question is if you remove the original video tap from the camera could you not shim/modify it so that you get to the right flange distance and fit the GoPro. I prefer the GoPro because it's a lot smaller. If you have any experience on using GoPros as video taps please let me know what you think!

Thanks a lot!

back_bone_gear_h10pro_modified_hero10_black_1664758.jpeg

Unfortunately I don’t think the GoPro would work with the video tap port (option 1) - the Minima’s video tap has a specific condenser lens set needed to get an image from the prism to the sensor. These optics were only included with the tap, not the camera itself 

Edited by Martin Parsekian

1 minute ago, Martin Parsekian said:

Unfortunately I don’t think the GoPro would work with the video tap port (option 1) - the Minima’s video tap has a specific condenser lens set needed to get an image from the prism to the sensor. 

You're saying that the condenser lens is on the actual BW video tap and not the camera, so that's why the GoPro wont work for option 1?

What do you think about somehow attaching it to the viewfinder?

• 1 month later...

the gopro7 has a removable m12 lensmount. could be an option for both spots.

I use an iphone on my vf of my XTR and it works quite well, using filmic pro legacy. Would recommend giving that a try.
Is it your minima or are you renting?