Krasnogorsk-3 run time has diminished, tips for longer takes

Brett Allbritton

When I got my K-3 back in 2015, I seem to recall it being able to run for about 30 seconds at 24 fps on a full wind. I've always tried to take very good care of it and can only think of one occasion where I accidentally started to overwind it, which I promptly stopped doing.

Still, nowadays I seem to only get about 10 seconds out of it, maybe about 15 if I'm lucky. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get longer takes again? I know 30 seconds is about as much as you can hope for with these cameras, but lately I have felt particularly limited with the camera.

• Premium Member

K3 spring motors have limit gears on the motor housing to control the spring wind duration. Perhaps those gears are damaged and stopping the spring early, or perhaps the spring itself is damaged inside. Or perhaps a gear tooth on the motor is damaged. Or perhaps a piece of debris has simply clogged one of those gear teeth. But essentially someone needs to pull the camera apart to see.

There is someone selling K3 motors if you need to replace it, and you can find a tech to do the replacement (or you feel confident to try yourself):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164200337220

• Like 1

Thanks, Dom.

I was much too nervous to try and open up the camera myself when I had the loop formers removed, but as time has gone on I feel a bit more confident attempting that sort of thing. Perhaps it's time I open it up and take a look, myself.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:24 AM, Dom Jaeger said:

There is someone selling K3 motors if you need to replace it, and you can find a tech to do the replacement (or you feel confident to try yourself):

Seeing where that comes from, I don't think anyone is going to be able to buy one for a long time.

• Premium Member

I have a spare Krasnogorsk1 or Krasnogorsk2 spring motor which I could sell. Don't know if it fits to the K3 but often this kind of parts stay similar through camera versions because making new part designs is impractical and costly unless it is absolutely mandatory