Need Help: Arri numbering system for their B&W filters

Hello,

Is there a list somewhere (downloadable) that outlines Arri filter nomenclature so I can tell filters meant for B&W film from color film?

Agfa, Wratten, Tiffen, Nikon, and Harrison published charts listing their filters, but I could not with several internet searches find such a list for Arriflex filters.

Arri didn't mark their glass.  Technically, not even the box either, except for hand lettering.

I don't want to buy a filter meant for color film, just B&W film.

(Also, a comparison like the old Wratten graphs indicating "extinction and transmission"?  That would be a nice bonus).

A list or an explanation would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Eric

Hi Eric!

There‘s a list on page 7 of this PDF: https://issuu.com/filmmaker8.com/docs/arriflex-16-catalog-1961

Another list can be found in this price list: https://archive.org/details/TNM_Arriflex_16mm_cameras_price_list_1965_-_Braun_20171019_0073/page/n9/mode/2up?view=theater

and on the last page of this price list: https://ia904602.us.archive.org/17/items/arriflex_paperwork_scans/arriflex_16_price_list_19610401_text.pdf

I hope that this helps.

Jörg 

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz
Added links
  • Like 1

Joerg,

Thank you for the info!!   The 35mm list confirmed seller's photos relative to filter type.

Now is there anyone who can point me toward a pamphlet or book that shows "Spectrophotometric Absorption Curves" of Arri B&W filters?

Kodak (Wratten), Harrison, and Agfa published curves for their filters, so maybe Arri did this as well?

It turns out that my little Agfa book was published in Soviet Occupied Germany (1954), and although  I don't speak or read German, internet translation gets me close to understanding what was written, and the charts are definitely understandable.

Thanks again, Joerg.

Hello Eric,

maybe I’m wrong, but there shouldn’t be any difference between the filters from different companies. E.g. a „green filter for b&w“ from Arri should have the same impact as one from Meopta/Tiffen/Lomo/Kodak/Hoya/Zeiss/Schneider-Kreuznach/whatever. And when the filter is older than 20years, then I doubt that the original curves are still 100% valid due to some aging effects.

IMHO, there are only a few aspects that differ between the brands or models:

* Light loss (older/cheaper filters might cause more loss and hence have a different „filter factor“)

* Thickness (older/cheaper filters might have a thicker optical element and a thicker mount and hence might differ in terms of vignetting)

* Coating (newer filters might have a anti-reflection coating and might be protected better against scratches)

* Optical elements (whether it’s glass, plastic or gelatin should not matter in terms of optical impact, but in price, quality, weight and reaction to heat)

* Price (higher prices usually equals to better quality and better quality control)

* Filter mounts (plastic vs. metal, precision of the threading)

But of course, that’s just my opinion.

BTW: When your „Agfa“ list got printed in the GDR, then it’s very, very likely in fact an „ORWO“ list: After the second WW, the Soviet troops confiscated the Agfa plant in Wolfen (near Bitterfeld), turning it into a separate company. In the beginning, the „capitalistic“ Agfa in the FRG cooperated with the „communistic“ Agfa in the GDR. And both companies continued to sell their products under the same brand name. But later, the „communistic“ Agfa in the GDR was forced to rename itself to „ORiginal WOlfen“ (ORWO). So be careful when applying your list to „Agfa“-branded filters. ?

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

B/W( contrast) filters are in solid colours- red, green, blue, yellow and orange.

Red, green and yellow contrast filters look nothing like colour conversion filters.

A CC blue is  much paler than a contrast blue filter, and a CC orange filter is more of a brown colour. You should be able to tell by comparing the seller's images with images from a search on, say, the Tiffen or Lee websites.

Edited by Mark Dunn