anamorphic or cropping

Deniz Zagra

Let's say you are working on a feature film, and the director wants the aspect ratio to be 2.39. Would you prefer to shoot with anamorphic lenses or shoot S35 or 2 perf and crop? What aspects of production would influence your decision (low light, speed, VFX)? Do you think the difference would matter much? Which lenses would you prefer?

• Premium Member

If you’re talking about shooting 35mm, it’s partly an issue of whether your producer will budget for 4-perf 35mm so you can shoot with 2X anamorphic lenses.

If the only issue / goal is getting a 2.40 aspect ratio then shooting 3-perf and cropping is the best route. 4-perf 35mm anamorphic would look finer-grained but no one seems to mind film grain anymore. Use anamorphic only if you want that anamorphic look.

• Premium Member

2.40 from 3-perf is slightly larger negative area than from 2-perf (which is 2.66 : 1 full aperture so you crop the sides to get to 2.40) but also shooting 3-perf allows you to stabilize shots, not have to deal as often with hairs in the picture area or gate flare, and if you have to make a 16x9 non-letterboxed version, it is ideal.

Here is my framing chart from an ARRI Alexa movie I shot in 16x9 but framed for 2.40 with a 1/4 offset from top, but I've done the same thing for some 3-perf movies:

image.jpeg.7779df3367e5b987b7781e0fcc65ee40.jpeg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with David. His advice is what I tell everyone. Don't bother with 2 perf, work on 3 perf so you can change your framing in post and not have to deal with the limitations of the 2 perf format, which there are many. Yes you'll save money but at a cost of things potentially not coming out as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the replies.

I am shooting 80% of the film on S16 with an aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and the other 20% will probably be widescreen 2.39:1. 
Aren't the limitations of shooting 2-perf the same as shooting S16.

In both formats:

1) I wont have the hight or width to stabilise

2) More hairs and gate flares

What other limitations or headaches are there with 2-perf that I am not thinking of right now?

The cost between 2 and 3-perf is about a 1/3 more which is not that little and in 3perf crop to widescreen you only gain a tiny bit more of film negative as compared to 2-perf but of course you have the other advantages too.

Thanks!!

On 3/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, Deniz Zagra said:

Let's say you are working on a feature film, and the director wants the aspect ratio to be 2.39. Would you prefer to shoot with anamorphic lenses or shoot S35 or 2 perf and crop? What aspects of production would influence your decision (low light, speed, VFX)? Do you think the difference would matter much? Which lenses would you prefer?

I really don't think that a budget of a movie should be a factor on my decision, if you have a small budget you may get an attachment that make an ordinary lens an anamorphic. 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Boris Kalaidjiev said:

I am shooting 80% of the film on S16 with an aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and the other 20% will probably be widescreen 2.39:1. 
Aren't the limitations of shooting 2-perf the same as shooting S16.

I've mixed S16 and 3 perf S35mm before and it's actually really nice. 1.66:1 with black bars on the side and then you switch to a wider format for certain scenes. I prefer 2:1 personally and unless you're going theatrical, it's a way better format for televisions. That's part of why I love 3 perf so much. As long as you keep 2.40:1 frame lines, you can always adjust the aspect ratio later if you don't want it as wide. 

So the benefits of 3 perf are: 
- Less hair possibility 
- Reframing 
- More of the fame is used (roughly 2mm worth) 
- Easier to stabilize in post if you need it
- Cameras are easier to get a hold of, both renting and buying 
- Arguably different field of view then 2 perf 

The ONLY benefit of 2 perf is lower cost film. 

The detractors are: 
- Hairs can ruin shots 
- Stuck to 2.40:1 aspect ratio 
- Cameras are generally more money to rent and nearly impossible to purchase. 
- Lesser quality image. 

When you do the math, 2 perf is only 2mm taller than super 16. That's really not a lot. When you're shooting 3 perf and even just matting to 1.85:1, you're roughly 5mm taller than 16mm. That's a HUGE amount. Using Anamorphic lenses on S16mm, is very common to get a 2.40:1 widescreen image and frankly, if money savings is your thing, I just don't know why you wouldn't do that? Shoot 50 ISO stock, low grain on those widescreen shots and differentiate them from the spherical 1.66:1 shots by the stock and lensing. 

• Upvote 1