Examples of Pull Processing 7219

Hi all, 

I am prepping for a short film I am shooting on Super 16 mm and I am thinking about rating 7219 at 250 ASA and pull processing -1 so as to create a lower contrast, desaturated, "lifeless" look. I am wondering if anybody has any good examples that used this particular approach to create pallid, muted tones. I'm mainly looking for references in case I do not have the time /budget to shoot proper tests.

Thanks!

Freddie 

• Premium Member
On 3/22/2023 at 12:01 AM, Freddie Whitman said:

Hi all, I am prepping for a short film I am shooting on Super 16 mm and I am thinking about rating 7219 at 250 ASA and pull processing -1 so as to create a lower contrast, desaturated, "lifeless" look. I am wondering if anybody has any good examples that used this particular approach to create pallid, muted tones. I'm mainly looking for references in case I do not have the time /budget to shoot proper tests.Thanks!

Freddie 

My preference is never to shoot 16mm film different to 'box speed' if I have enough light for it that I don't have to 'push'

Shooting 500T at 1 stop overexposed you might as well shoot 200T, notwithstanding proper metering and lighting of course....if you want muted and lifeless shoot on a dull overcast day outside.....if inside then kill all the sharp edges of shadows with loads of diffusion...use baking/oven paper over your light/s held with a clothes pegs for a cheap solution......the limitations make for more imagination for sure!

Needless to say listen to David Mullen ASC over anything that comes from me haha my experience is film photography mostly but really it's the same thing....Portra 800 and 500T have the same vibe and the former is the film I use for all my professional work these days.

Edited by Stephen Perera