New 16mm Colour Film....ISO One !

Doug Palmer

I'm intrigued by this new colour film from Film Photography Project.   It's for 16mm 100ft roll film cameras as well as the old 50ft magazine cameras.   However,  it's got an ISO speed of just 1 !!!    Has anyone here tried it yet ?  

I've never ever used such a slow emulsion even in still photography.  So I'm guessing this would need careful planning.   It would be interesting to see how it looks, grainwise and so on.  Then maybe certain projects could find it useful.   One thinks immediately of long single-frame exposures.  Or perhaps normal shooting in bright conditions.  But then the lens aperture is going to be really wide, perhaps f1.4 or more.  I've been watching the new Great Expectations on BBC,   and there are some interesting exterior shots where backgrounds of crowds etc are wildly out of focus,  giving an impression of much activity going on but not competing with the dialogue etc.   Maybe a special lens was used for this.  An ISO One film would allow any normal focal length length lens or even a wideangle to give a similar kind of effect.

https://filmphotographystore.com/collections/movie-film/products/16mm-film-double-perf-fpp-sun-color-1-100-ft?mc_cid=f0b3c27895&mc_eid=872efc9db2

13 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

It's most likely a dupe neg lab stock that has been respooled.

If so, would you have to be careful about under or over exposure ?   I can remember using the old Ektachrome Duplicating still film, 8 ISO or thereabouts,  and finding it best to bracket.  But then, that wasn't a negative emulsion which presumably has more latitude.

It's nice they are putting it into 50ft mags as well, resurrecting those great cameras. If their lenses will cope ?

• Premium Member

Since it (probably) is not a stock not designed to be a camera original, a test roll with bracketing under a variety of conditions would be advised.  Of course, with any important shoot, the same can be said for any film stock you plan to shoot.

The "latitude" and ISO of a stock designed to be exposed by a tungsten lamp in a motion picture printer could prove "interesting" under varied lighting conditions such as the Sun, LED lamps and other light sources.

I would be more worried about under exposure than over exposure with that ISO equivalent...

Good luck and take a lot of notes if you decide to try it.

• Premium Member

IF it is a lab stock, it won’t have any anti-halo layer, neither an undercoat nor a black backing. Exposure needs to be spot-on, else one has flare, halos. If it’s really a lab film to be ENC-2 processed, it has an EI of around ISO 20. ISO 1 suggests something different such as a display film for large graphics, shop windows, and the like. Fujiclear maybe. That stock has a dye backing.

Edited by Simon Wyss

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this film in 16mm yet ?   According to

https://filmphotographystore.com/collections/movie-film/products/16mm-film-double-perf-fpp-sun-color-1-100-ft

it would work in bright sun at f2.8 if using a shutter speed of 1/60th.   So fairly useable in a 16mm camera.  As I mentioned earlier, might be good for differential-focusing shots.  I wonder how the grain looks.

Edited by Doug Palmer

13 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

It’s Kodak 3242. Grainless

Thank you Simon, I might try some.  I suppose another attraction is the bright reflex viewfinder during shooting.  Assuming of course that the glass is sharp at big f-stops.

Edited by Doug Palmer
change word

• Premium Member

Rare opportunity to remind filmers of and point out to aspiring ones the focusing finders of various cameras. They go back to the rackover system of the Bell & Howell Standard camera which offers a magnified view of the image on a ground glass. Eyemo 71-CA and younger spyder turret models afford it besides Cinex, Eclair, Parvo, Mitchell, and others.

16-mm. cameras with a precision finder are the Standard Paillard-Bolex H, the ETM-P, Bell & Howell Filmo 70-D and younger, Keystone K-56, Fearless, Mitchell, Maurer, Nord, Victor 3-4-5, Auricon 600, and 1200.

There are also Double-Eight cameras that allow precise focusing of a lens as well as framing for static shots in conjunction with a rackover accessory: Bell & Howell Filmo Eight T, Paillard-Bolex H-8, Cinekon Eight, Sankyo 8-R/RT, Zeiss-Ikon Movikon 8 aslant, Pentacon AK 8, Specto 88, Arco CR-8, Arco Eight 803 A, Canon 8-T, Bauer 8 und 88 with the aid of inlay prism, prisms usable in many more cameras

Here’s a view of the rear of the front of Paillard-Bolex H-9, nr. 8000. Top right is the prism with a frosted face behind the upper lens position in the front we frame and focus on. The prism face lies in a plane with the film’s surface. No flicker, no offence to the lens in taking position, in fact we can adjust a lens while we’re exposing through the other. Can be useful with observations, documentary work, whatnot, of course on sticks.

P1020332.thumb.JPG.ce8fa05e9ba3ebae8654d53b8fb9bebc.JPG

Almost forgot to mention that Daniel Colland of Color Films Archives is going to convert fresh Kodak 5294 into Ektachrome 100 Daylight in 9.5 mm. Information, order form, and bank relation on request

Edited by Simon Wyss