Is it possible to print a BRAW 3:1 to 16mm film?

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone can answer my questions here. I am planning on shooting a 20 min. narrative short on a BMPCC 4K Cinema Camera. I will be using the BRAW 3:1 at 2.6K in a 16:9 aspect ratio, at 24 FPS. Once it is edited and color corrected and sound design is applied, I will take a digital file and send it to either CineLab in Massachusetts, or Colorlab in Rockville, MD for a filmout negative and a 16mm print. I am thinking that the lab will be able to make a 4:3 squeezed print from the 16:9 image. Is this even possible?

I would think its possible, but it wont do you any good if you want to project it given you'd need a non standard desqueeze lens on the projector. If you're doing this as a backup for archival purposes its probably fine so long as you tape desqueeze instructions to the box. But I would talk with the labs about this, especially if you want to include sound on the film 

• Premium Member

It would be hard enough to find places to project it in 16mm but very few have anamorphic lenses and those were 2X so would only make sense for a scope image. For anything 1.66, 1.77, 1.85, etc. a matted image was more likely in the past. You'd need a 1.3X or 1.4X anamorphic projector lens to show 1.77 squeezed onto 1.33.

Thank you all for your input. I am now thinking of putting the same file to 35mm, although I know that it would be expensive. I would have it recorded to and Inter-Negative, then from there, taking it through a print pipeline. I'll be researching this some more, ty.

• Site Sponsor

We have done plenty of digital to 16mm with an anamorphic squeeze, most for recording and re-scan.

It would not be a problem to make a squeezed 1.33 print with sound and de-squeeze it in projection with a anamorphic projection lens, there are plenty of them on eBay.

Just be aware of the very narrow sound on 16mm which is mono and frequency and DR limited.