A-Minima Vision 3 250D FRESH AS HE**

Dennis Toeppen

I'm not sure fresh is exactly the right term, but this was purchased from Eastman Kodak at the very end of their A-Minima film production. I bought the last ~50 rolls they had. It went straight into my freezer. Whenever I want to shoot a "home movie" - travel, local happenings, etc. - I grab a roll of this, ND filters, and head out. This stuff can handle just about ANY lighting situation. For example, this little home movie had some really challenging lighting, and it came out well. I just wish I had a steadier hand. I actually damaged the tripod head right before getting on the ship, but it wouldn't have helped me on-board anyhow.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/iAegCtXHgB8/edit?o=U

I'm trying to get down to just one freezer. So I want to sell some, but not all, of my remaining 250D.

It's listed on ebay for $250. I'll also sell direct for $225 a roll. Pricing subject to change, of course. I can't edit this message later.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

FYI brand new stock purchased directly from Kodak, manufactured within 6 months of shipment to your door, is $220/roll for 400ft loads retail pricing. 

thanks tyler! not buying, i roll my own. just wanted to see the link 

• Haha 1

$220 + two spools @ $90 each = $400. So EK is cheaper if you don't mind dust from DIY winding. If you want perfectly clean stock spooled by EK, it's $450 for two rolls/400' from me. Quality isn't free.

Edited by Dennis Toeppen

• Premium Member

I'm confused. 

Nearly everyone who has an A Minima, has spools. The labs give them back to you after processing and MOST labs have a stock of them as well. Fotokem for instance, gives them away if you ask for them. I've fixed dozens of A minima's, shipped to me from around the world and all of them have two spools in each mag. I have never seen a camera without 2 spools for each mag. 

A brand new sealed roll made within the last 6 months direct from Kodak of any modern Vision 3 stock 400ft is $220 + tax. 

So if you pay a lab to break them down for you, at most it's going to cost $50 bux for one 400ft roll to be put onto 2 daylight spools. So that means you're at $270 for 2 rolls of film plus tax of course. 

If you're a beginner and you camera has no spools, something again I've never seen before, then yes your deal may sound worthwhile. However, before they discontinued these, they sold the rolls with film for $140 ish. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Kodak Lab here in London break down your rolls for free.

If you like dust, re-spooling is a great way to accomplish that look. If you want film that is factory spooled in a clean room, buy new.

Buying new film gets you unused spools which won't leak light, and which can be re-used a few times. Contrary to the overconfident poster above, A-Minima spools are no-longer readily available for free from labs. (And his assertion that people send cameras for repairs with two spools in them is complete nonsense.)

If you want factory-spooled film, buy factory-spooled film. If you don't, don't. 

But please, amuse me. Don't let this discussion end here.

Edited by Dennis Toeppen

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Ah that's nice. Fotokem does so many, they've started charging $50 bux for 2 breakdowns (one single 400ft roll). They also have quite a collection of spools they'll gladly give you if you process with them. I've had to do this for a few clients who had cameras in for service with me, but didn't give me spools. I've also gotten 100ft 35mm daylight spools from them as well, which is a real treat because they're rarer than shit outside of labs, who use them for optical work. The great thing about the A minima spools is that they're super easy to 3D print. We've already designed a FAR better replacement spool, with less flex (a common issue with the OEM ones) and an actual slot for the film when loading. That's one of the biggest problems with the stock spools. 

• Upvote 1

Had Kodak NY breakdown rolls for free this AM (by the pros in the darkroom).  Fotokem charges for breakdowns but you can pickup spools at no cost.  Any lab returns them to you after processing if you give them the heads up.  Just the standard protocol..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:26 AM, Uli Meyer said:

21 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Not only does Kodak break down your rolls for free, they do it completely dust-free! They are professionals. They do this for a living.

You're talking about London? That has no relevance to me.

• Confused 1

On 5/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, Dennis Toeppen said:

So EK is cheaper if you don't mind dust from DIY winding.

Unless you're a rookie, in a DIY shag-carpeted darkroom with feline assistants, or chain-smoking through your spooling session, dust shouldn't be an issue.

Also with that attitude you prob should go on craigslist you'll have more success with your sale ?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Steve Cutler said:

you should do stand up

Clearly a troll with nothing to contribute. Try using your shift key and punctuation. It will increase your credibility and people will think you are older and more mature than you actually are.

Edited by Dennis Toeppen
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Robino Jones said:

Unless you're a rookie, in a DIY shag-carpeted darkroom with feline assistants, or chain-smoking through your spooling session, dust shouldn't be an issue.

Also with that attitude you prob should go on craigslist you'll have more success with your sale ?

I have no difficulty selling high-quality, dust-free film to those who value high-quality product. You simply are not my target market. 

• Confused 1