Munich

Guest jbee

Guest jbraver

I for one am very exited to see what Janusz Kaminski is going to do with a story this dark and heavy. He hasnt done anything this serious and dark since Savign Private Ryan. Ive heard rumors that a trailer for Munich is attached to Jarhead. we'll see

Jake

Edited by jbraver

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Well it's still Spielberg...

What's worse, he's doing a 'serious' subject. I don't mind him doing popcorn fare, but whenever he tries to do something serious it still ends up being a very heavyhanded and manipulating.

Just guessing for fun:

The film will have desaturated colors and look extremely contrasty. Oh, and most release prints (except some prestige premiere prints for selected theatres) will look unsharp and grainy with no detail thanks to sloppy duping and release printing. :rolleyes: Let's wait and see...

It's shot on Cooke S4s, so it won't look terribly sharp either.

Sorry what is the probs. with S4s , i agree had enough of low sat and high contrast , think its old hat in features , i dont expect them to look like old ads for Irish Stout . Boring , been there down that . john holland

i don't think there's necessarily a "problem" with Cooke S4 optics, but one of their inherent qualities is a slightly "softer" image, why a lot of DP's who are used to perhaps Primos or Zeiss lenses with a little diffusion like them. I've had some nice results with them on music videos - the 75mm is a very flattering lens for close-ups of women especially in my opinion, but I'm also a bit of a sharpness fanatic so I'm finding myself really enjoying Zeiss Super Speeds quite a bit lately even though they're older lenses. They fall off really nicely, too.

I think this is Kaminski's first S4 show if I'm not mistaken. Plus with the amount of Dior and other diffusion he often uses it'll be interesting to see what he puts on the lens in addition to the already "creamy" quality of the S4's.

• Premium Member

While I think Cooke S4s looks very nice on TV, on the big screen their lack of sharpness becomes apparent very quickly. There is never one point that looks really in focus, making it sometimes very hard for your eye to decide where to look. This is most obvious when you have low-contrast, high key images.

I have noticed this many times, especially on films that I have worked on and where we had printed rushes. On 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' for instance there were some wide interior shots that just looked soft. We checked the flange depth of the camera, shot sharpness tests, tried a different lens of the same focal lenght and in the end came to the conclusion that it was the lens itself and there was nothing to be done about it. I had this confirmed by another focus-puller whose sharpness test revealed that the lenses in general are not as sharp as Zeiss or Primos and that one of the wider lenses (I think it was the 32mm) is softer than the rest.

• Premium Member

I saw the trailer tonight in front of Jarhead (which was fantastic, great movie, great looking).

I thought the trailer was well put together, and looked good, I think the film will be solid. I personally feel Spielberg is a great director, who generally makes very good movies. I think Munich will follow suit.

I am a huge fan of Janusz Kaminski's work. I think he is one of the greatest cinematographers working today.

That said, if you disagree, I honestly don't feel like getting into some typical message board dispute of the merits of Steven Spielberg as a director, or Janusz as a Cinematographer. Save it, I respect your opinion, keep it at that.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
http://www.munichmovie.com/trailer_sm.html

I dont even know what to say..... it just looks amazing

Golda Meir speaking English. Great...

I do realize it is a convention that in American films about foreigners these people have to speak English, because American audiences to not take to subtitles well, but to someone like me who is used to reading subtitles and speaks several languages fluently this has always annoyed me. At least if every character spoke proper English I would find this less objectionable, but very often actors speak English with the accent of the country that they are supposed to be from, which makes for some unvoluntary humar, like Ralph Fiennes in 'Schindler's List' who sounded like Dr Strangelove! Also in that film, some Germans spoke English with a German accent and some simply spoke German. At least be consistent in what you do! Although the worst example is still one of the Indiana Jones, where one of the Nazis is supposed to say something in German, but actually only says something which merely sounds like German, but in fact doesn't make any sense!

• Premium Member
Golda Meir speaking English. Great...

I do realize it is a convention that in American films about foreigners these people have to speak English, because American audiences to not take to subtitles well, but to someone like me who is used to reading subtitles and speaks several languages fluently this has always annoyed me. At least if every character spoke proper English I would find this less objectionable, but very often actors speak English with the accent of the country that they are supposed to be from, which makes for some involuntary humor, like Ralph Fiennes in 'Schindler's List' who sounded like Dr Strangelove! Also in that film, some Germans spoke English with a German accent and some simply spoke German. At least be consistent in what you do! Although the worst example is still one of the Indiana Jones, where one of the Nazis is supposed to say something in German, but actually only says something which merely sounds like German, but in fact doesn't make any sense!

I love Fiennes performance in Schindler's List, but, I agree, his adenoidal Strangelovian slur ranks right up there with Gregory Peck's over-the-top German accent from "The Boys from Brazil." "I pahhhrdon you." :blink: :D

I would have loved to have seen some subtitled Hebrew spoken in "Munich." Hopefully more subtitled movies are introduced into the U.S., and this marketplace gets over its phobia of them. I even see a pretty universal disdain for subtitled films here at film school which really bothers me. Those people are missing out on the exciting larger world of non-English cinema!

Although the worst example is still one of the Indiana Jones, where one of the Nazis is supposed to say something in German, but actually only says something which merely sounds like German, but in fact doesn't make any sense!

LOL yeah i hate it when they do that, as ift would be so hard to ask someone to make up a proepr sentence for them. Get a dictionary or something.

I remember a trade show presentation of ROCKETEER in Germany, they had not finished the dubbing, and there was Timothy Dalton talking some kind of Pidgin-German - we almost laughed our heads off.

On other productions, they must have had excellent dialect coachs, like THE GREAT ESCAPE when Richard Attenborrough and Gordon Jackson try to camouflage as Germans.

Some time ago, a Laurel&Hardy two-reeler made in 1931 as a foreign-language version with the boys talking German was found in a Russian film archive. It was screened at the German Filmmuseum two weeks ago, and while Stan did a good Job delivering his lines phonetically, Ollie was really hard to understand.

L & H Speak German

L & H - Found In Translation

Finding L & H in Moscow

• Premium Member

I remember in 'The Rocketeer' it was that they called one of the Nazi zepplins 'Luxemburg'. People were upset about that, because Luxemburg had nothing to do with the Nazis and in fact got occupied by them during WW2. Some people should have paid more attention in history classes.

I remember in 'The Rocketeer' it was that they called one of the Nazi zepplins 'Luxemburg'. People were upset about that, because Luxemburg had nothing to do with the Nazis and in fact got occupied by them during WW2. Some people should have paid more attention in history classes.

I just saw Clint Eastwood's Firefox for the first time since I was a kid. The Russian accents are insane. I closed my eyes and could hear Bela Lugosi, Lech Walesa, Werner Herzog and Boris Badenov (at least he's Russian, if a cartoon). They were all lit from below the chin, like the villain in Battlestar Galactica. The Cold War was something else.

But I digress...

I have to say i'm looking foward to see Spielberg attempt yet another serious "real life drama". Perhaps im alone here but I really do feel that subtlety and Steven do not go together. He replaces beauty with slam bang in your face visuals and often goes for the cliche look that is popular at the time (i.e de-saturation now, purposeful noise and grain within Schindler's List, etc.... This film has the potential to be mysterious and intriguing. Well find out.

Edited by Max McAdams

The trailers are framed at 2.35:1. Since it was shot with spherical lenses that would mean that it has been shot in Super 35 (the second Kaminski & Spielberg film in the format, after Minority Report). I find it surprising, since Spielberg once said that it took him more time to compose in Scope and this film has been shot very quickly ir order to release it at the end of the year.

• 1 month later...

In most foreign films, people are usually speaking to quickly, therefore subtitles go by FAST. Which means the audience gets lost in the plot and dont have enough time to read and enjoy the films visuals. I'm sure this is not just an American audience problem.

Spielburg was great with SPR. this looks good as well

• Premium Member
In most foreign films, people are usually speaking to quickly, therefore subtitles go by FAST. Which means the audience gets lost in the plot and dont have enough time to read and enjoy the films visuals. I'm sure this is not just an American audience problem.

Foreign films as in non-English films?

I have been watching films with subtitles my whole life and it never posed a problem to me. It take some getting used to of course, but if one never starts one never will be able to do it.