Bolex H16 Reflex shutter stopping in slightly open position?

Tom Doolittle

Hi folks, 

Probably a dumb question, but thought I'd ask...

Is it normal for the H16 shutter to stop in a slightly open position? The camera runs and advances film smoothly, but it always stops with the shutter slightly open (see pic). This is an older H16 Reflex, without the variable shutter. I suspect it has been mistimed by a previous owner, but I'm new to Bolex. 

Appreciate any insight from experienced users. 

Tom

IMG_0996.jpg

• Premium Member

It is possible to assemble an H so that the shutter covers the aperture at the rundown stop of the spring gearing, however, if the camera gets stopped at high speeds, the mechanism can advance over the stop. There’s a slip clutch between the derailleur and the 1-1 drive shaft exactly with the purpose to absorb the excess energy at a halt. This has by the way nothing to do with the timing of claw and shutter. The front needs to be lifted from the body, then the correct mesh be found between the 1-1 shaft’s helicoid and the shutter’s. Fine tuning is made by loosening the set screws of the shutter helicoid and retightening in a better position. Lastly, the claw must fit into the shutter movement.

• Premium Member

If the shutter stops open then it’s mistimed. 

Do a shutter timing check to make sure. Mark some dummy film with a long squiggle that goes across the film width and load it in the camera. Remove the lens so you can look through the front port. Disengage the motor, lock the run switch, and use a rewind lever to slowly advance the film. The film should stay perfectly still when the shutter is open, the sharpie mark helps to see it. If the film moves at all, the timing needs to be reset.

Thank you for the responses. There is no visible film movement while the shutter is open and the camera is advanced manually, but when run via the motor the shutter always stops with the gate's lower left corner exposed. I thought perhaps this was a feature of the Bolex, intended to produce a flash frame. From your responses it sounds like this is an abnormal condition due to a mistimed or slipping mechanism. I'll put it back on the curio shelf for now. 

Thanks again!

• Premium Member

So the claw and shutter have been properly timed relative to each other, but the position of the shutter relative to the stop pawl is out. Probably someone had it apart. The shutter can be removed on those models and repositioned - three screws so three positions plus some adjustment. Just need to remove the viewfinder and front, then remake the light seal on reassembly.

Otherwise you will get a flashed frame between each shot, which is more annoying than unusable.