Looking for Bolex H16 EL Repair Manual/schematics

Boris Belay

I am looking for a Service Manual for the Bolex H16 EL model, prefrerably the Mk I (1975) version, but Mk II or III may do too. Does anybody have one available (scanned or hardcopy, free or not) or, alternatively, could point me to a source for them ?

(I am not looking for those for the preceding models (up to EBM), which are easy to find, and I already have).

I got a very rusty (!) EL off eBay and took it apart, cleaned it (well, what could be cleaned of it) and it looks ok. But it has a loose power (red) wire by the motor, which I don't know what to make of... I fix Bolex cameras regularly, but my electronics is a bit rusty...

The camera doesn't run (obviously), symptoms are : when the battery pack is connected, the camera goes straight to shooting mode (not light measuring possible) with the 1/1 axis catch retracted. Pressing the trigger does not do anything.

Short of a manual (and addresses for repair shops), any hint or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks, Boris

• 1 month later...
Guest gregorscheer

Hi Boris I do have a EBM and a EL and am eager to learn and understand these cameras. In the first place I would like to know how to lubricate them so If you find the manual for the EL I would be glad to pay for a copy too maybe that can make the purchase cheaper for both of us. just let me know please.

• Premium Member

Boris,

Have you talked to Bolex in Switzerland about this. When I was having my EBM nightmare, the folks over at Bolex Switzerland were incredibly helpful. I used to email with a guy who I think was named Marc Ueter. He really helped me out alot and may even help you with wiring diagrams and the like.

Go to their website and there is an email link. Send them an email and ask to converse with Marc. I think he may be able to help you out.

-Tim Carroll

Hi Boris I do have a EBM and a EL and am eager to learn and understand these cameras. In the first place I would like to know how to lubricate them so If you find the manual for the EL I would be glad to pay for a copy too maybe that can make the purchase cheaper for both of us. just let me know please.

Gregor, Thanks for the offer, but still no manual to be found anywhere... The most vexing thing is the Bolex 16 Pro maintenance manual (super, super rare) actually on eBay, but nothing for the EL...

Regarding lubrication of H16s, EL included, I assume, here's what I got from the regulal H16 maintenance manual (for the lubrication points that are reachable without dismantling the camera) :

You can put a drop of oil on the axle-ends that you can see turning inside the film chamber when the camera runs. It's a little hard to explain in writing, but basically you can see the end of 4 or 5 axes around the upper film-feeding mechanism and by the upper claw. (To see the claw mechanism, you need to remove the pressure plate, then unscrew 2 small screws that hold a protective plate over the claw mechanism). One drop of low visosity mechanical oil on he end of each of these axes as they turn (camera running) may help (wipe the excess afterwards with a cotton bud).

If you're feeling adventurous, you can also go for a drop of oil on the variable shutter sprockets (Obviously not on the EBM or EL, without VS), which you can see when the prism is flipped out. This may help lessen the noise on an old Reflex with a noisy shutter mechnaism.

None of this is 'official', only adapted from the Bolex maintenance manual and doable without dismantling anything (apart from the claw protection plate). And of course, you need the right tool or method to drop only one small drop of oil at a time. Working cleanly, carefully, and sensibly (no cooking oil, please !) anyone can do this bit of maintenance themselves.

-B

By the way (since this was a topic n repair manuals), I do recommend buying a Bolex repair manual to anyone interested in lubricating their cameras or doing small repairs. They're great reference, will help you understand the camera and be less afraid of it, will get you out of trouble in a pinch (on location problems !), and all of that for $25 on eBay (I'm not the one selling them either!). Just make sure you get the one that's right for your camera -- but since Bolex compiled them as the models evolved, you might as well get a late one (SB/SBM + EBM, and all before) and be safe.

Still no EL manual in sight, though... I'll have to open up another EL to compare with my faulty one. I would document the repair too, but it's so time consuming, I'm not sure I'm up for it...

Edited by bobolex