wedding shoot which camera

A.Oliver

Hi, been roped into shooting a wedding next year, before i make a wrong decision and sell a newly aquired 1014xls, i would ask the experts the following. Here are the cameras i own, too many i know, which camera would you choose to shoot a wedding.

Canon 1014xls

Canon 814xls ( owned since new, however think the back focus is out, very soft from F4 to F1.4)

Beaulieu 6008 with 6-70 lens

Beaulieu 7008 with 6-80 lens

Leicina Special with 6-66 and 10mm cinegon lens.

Over to you, thanks for any replies

BTW, i will not be covering the inside of the church, all filming will hopefully done in daylite on k40 and requested at 18fps

Well it sounds like they want the classic retro home movie look, so you should probably stick with a home movie camera like the 1014 xls. You can always sell it later and there is a large group of buyers who don't know any better on ebay for that camera.

The back focus is out on the 814 xls? Had to have left that way from the factory. I remember having a Canon 814 electronic and there was a darn bubble on the innermost visible element of the lens! Tiny, but I couldn't notice it on the one reel I shot part of with it before I sold it off ASAP. That defect in manufacturing and the cheap plastic construction really annoyed me. Just had another 814e fall into my lap for virtually nothing, so I'm taking it. Looking forward to its arrival any day for a "shake down" and a comparo with some other cameras just for the fun of it.

• Premium Member
For a profesional look I would shoot with a boilex h16rexVI...rick solid registraton compared to home movie super 8 format. A wedding only happens once or twice so think big. super 8 is not up to the jobs

The 814XLS is a fine camera to shoot with.

How much film does the Rex 16 hold? If it's only 3 minutes and change then super-8 will allow for a much faster exchange of film loads.

For a profesional look I would shoot with a boilex h16rexVI...rick solid registraton compared to home movie super 8 format. A wedding only happens once or twice so think big. super 8 is not up to the jobs

Hi, request is super 8 not 16mm, thanks for the advice.

Andy

• Premium Member
K25rip,

You seem intent on only Super 8.

Respec.

Or whatever the hell Ali G says. ;-)

Anyway.

Check out these folks.

They use a blend of DV & Super 8 for their wedding videos.

Take a look below.

http://www.lumierebridal.com/ourwork.html

sincerely,

ian

One would definitely want a video presence to at the very least capture audio with, but who's to say this is the responsibility of the film shooter, others may be involved in that aspect of the production.

• Premium Member

If you go with 16mm either buy 3 cameras and have them all loaded and ready to go or hire an assistant to load for you, even then I'd get 2 so you always have one ready. Missing a moment at a wedding could make for a very bad day.

:unsure:

Super 8 can be fine for this application, especially if they are looking for the "home movie" look. Fast loading is a bonus, but I'd still pick up 2 of the same camera since they are so cheap.

Edited by Will Montgomery

Shoot with the quietst camera.

This is a wedding, after all, so they're probably going to record audio (is there a videographer as well, or do they assume you're recording audio on your flm? - which is impossible!).

The last thing they want, is to hear an eggbeater sound coming from your camera through the whole service!

MP

Shoot with the quietst camera.

This is a wedding, after all, so they're probably going to record audio (is there a videographer as well, or do they assume you're recording audio on your flm? - which is impossible!).

The last thing they want, is to hear an eggbeater sound coming from your camera through the whole service!

MP

Isee ebay has a liecina special on it rightr now. very nice. sounds like it si the profesiponal camera. TGo woith that one.

Item number: 7565525670

The Canon 1014 and 814 offer the best flexibility for variable shooting conditions. Their auto exposure and other functions allow you to focus on getting the shots quickly and moving on.

I myself have shot with the Beaulieu 7008, 4008, Canon 1014 XLS and others. The Canon should deliver a comparable image to the Beaulieu (if it is in good shape.).

My vote is for the Canon.

Guest Trevor Swaim
Isee ebay has a liecina special on it rightr now. very nice. sounds like it si the profesiponal camera. TGo woith that one.

Item number: 7565525670

no way! althougth the liecina is by far the loudest s8 camera on the list, it might be the loudest s8 camera made. I would go for the canon as well they are fairly quiet and despite the eurocentric rumbling of santo they are a darn fine camera. i know its not really an option but a braun-nizo 6080 would be my first choice for a task like this.

really the bottom line is pick the camera that you are most comfortable with and confindent in.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, been roped into shooting a wedding next year, before i make a wrong decision and sell a newly aquired 1014xls, i would ask the experts the following. Here are the cameras i own, too many i know, which camera would you choose to shoot a wedding.

Canon 1014xls

Canon 814xls ( owned since new, however think the back focus is out, very soft from F4 to F1.4)

Beaulieu 6008 with 6-70 lens

Beaulieu 7008 with 6-80 lens

Leicina Special with 6-66 and 10mm cinegon lens.

Over to you, thanks for any replies

BTW, i will not be covering the inside of the church, all filming will hopefully done in daylite on k40 and requested at 18fps

Hi There,

I'm new to these boards.....but I've shot weddings on all of those camera's except the Leicina Special.

For versatility I would recommend the Canon 814 or 1014. I love my 814 and shoot on that camera every weekend for weddings. During the ceremony you may want to switch to the 1014 if its quieter. The Canon's just plain feel good, they are easy to maneauver for different situations. The lens on my 814 is fantastic and it really all depends on how your exposing and whose transferring your film with regards to how you want it to look.

good luck!

k*

no way! althougth the liecina is by far the loudest s8 camera on the list, it might be the loudest s8 camera made. I would go for the canon as well they are fairly quiet and despite the eurocentric rumbling of santo they are a darn fine camera. i know its not really an option but a braun-nizo 6080 would be my first choice for a task like this.

really the bottom line is pick the camera that you are most comfortable with and confindent in.

If you have used a loud Leicina than that particular camera needed to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted. While my Leicina is no Nizo 6080 (what is!), it is just as loud as the Beaulieu and the Canon.

IMHO of course! :)

k25

i have a barney for the 1014xls. if you want to borrow it you are welcome, i'm in manhattan.

jk :ph34r:

Thankyou for the kind offer JK. I am hoping that all filming is to be done outside the church where camera noise doesn't matter. The footage will be silent, friend does not require sound. Sold my canon 1014xls, so now down to the beaulieu 6008,7008, leicina special, reluctant to use the 814xls due to the back focus problems in low light. Anyone use there leicina special on auto iris?????? Would love to shoot the whole wedding using the 10mm cinegon, but i dont think its practicle. BTW, seen a few comments regarding leicina special camera noise, mine is fairly quiet, around the same noise levels as the 814xls and beaulieus.

All the previous family weddings have been shot on a 1014xls as its a great run and gun camera, my only concern with the beaulieus and leicina is no aperature readout in the viewfinder, probably one of the only plus points to the canon 814xls. Heres my thoughts.......

Canon 814xls... soft images in low light, able to shoot more footage, better run/gun camera

Beaulieu/leicina.... know i will get more usable footage, also a much sharper image, especially in low lite, need to work a little harder with the cameras compared than the no thinking canon 814xls. i am being swayed to the 7008s with 6-80 lens, however the jury's still out.

Thanks to all the replies. Andy

K25:

I don't know if you already made up your mind about the camera but I can tell from my own experience that I was very happy to have the Canon 310 XL with during the wedding of my sister in law.

Yes it was noisy but it saved me in the low light situations I encountered. It paired ok with the footage of the Nizo Pro I used that day. You never know for sure what to expect. Certainly not as sharp as a Leicina or Beaulieu but that little camera with f1.0 lens saved some very memorable moments on film.

Good luck and have fun shooting,

Roel

p.s most of the times the "dance" between still photographer and the person with the video/film cam is worth some footage. They always seem to stand in eachothers way...