24p DVX100 Clips?

David Silverstein

Anyone have any 24p mode dvx100 clips that I can look at. Im either going to rent one to shoot my movie if they look good or dish out the dough for 16mm film I already have acess to a 16mm film camera but the film itself and developing is the expensive part for me so I want to see what my options are to getting it looking like a motion picture.

Anyone have any 24p mode dvx100 clips that I can look at. Im either going to rent one to shoot my movie if they look good or dish out the dough for 16mm film I already have acess to a 16mm film camera but the film itself and developing is the expensive part for me so I want to see what my options are to getting it looking like a motion picture.

I shot something in dvx100 30p (Was 30p because my final output was for a 25 foot LCD screen playing back at 30fps).

Was shot in 3 hours, didn't know what to expect when I got to the location. Brought 3 rented lights with me, used 2 of them. :) Was my first time using the camera (other than an hour testing it the night before). Used one of the cinema settings for balance. Intentially underexposed a little for aesthetic reasons and shot in telephoto most of the time. 90% of these shots have no color correcting on them.

www.markallen.net/fandango_h264.mov (better quality, larger file, h264)

or

www.markallen.net/fandango_web.mov (lesser quality, smaller file, sorrenson3)

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't base a decision on some clip you see on the internet.

I would agree.

From a user experience point of view, I would say this: (and you've heard this part before) You are never going to pull additional lattitude out of the dvx100 that you will find in film. The DVX100 really impressed me, but it did not erradicate the effect video seems to have on skin where it 'cleans it up' as a nice way of saying it seems to "smudge it" a little irregardless of the settings. I think this is a direct result of the lattitude actually. There are many ways of describing the difference and many explanations - but there is a difference and the majority of the world thinks well shot film looks a little more aesthetically pleasing than well shot video. Everything you've read on these boards will be something you discover.

The way to evaluate the decision I think is to decide 1) what matters most and 2) what is the end goal of the project?

As for the 2nd question - if this is something you're shooting in the process of your education - think economy. It really does matter how many projects you can shoot and the finer details are not going to be as important as the overall education. Unless you specifically want to learn something related to the process of shooting film - I can't see any reason to shoot anything on film in order to help learn storytelling.

addendum:

If you do use the dvx and you are wanting to get the ellusive depth of field of 35 film (which I think sometimes is more key for storytellling than most of the things we talk about in the video/film comparisons) checkout the guerilla35, the micro35, the mini35 adapters.

I wouldn't base a decision on some clip you see on the internet. Try renting a DVD of a movie shot on the DVX100 -- "November" isn't out yet, but "Incident at Loch Ness" is.

I have broken which is shot all on the 100 but I wanted to see what some of the members here could come up with so if anyone can give me some clips shot on 24fps I would really appreciate it. And David I will check out that movie thank you for the idea.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Check this short out: http://cinemekserve.temp.powweb.com/demos/...similo.h264.mov

This is the DVX at its best, IMHO.

Great stuff. Looks like they may have used the P+S Technik adapter with anamorphic lenses (some blue lens flare and shallow depth of field). Can you give us any info? I found some buzz at DVX user, but I'd like to know the details...

Great stuff. Looks like they may have used the P+S Technik adapter with anamorphic lenses (some blue lens flare and shallow depth of field). Can you give us any info? I found some buzz at DVX user, but I'd like to know the details...

I didn't shoot it. I wish I had. Macgregor used a Cinemek G35 adapter. It's similar to the P+S but much less expensive. His lighting setups were very simple. And I think he used only 2 regular 35mm still camera lenses. There is more info in the SIMILO thread in the sci-fest section of the DVXUser site. He posts some pictures and talks more about how he did it. The thread is pretty long because it was so popular on the forum, but there's interesting stuff in there if you can wade through it all.