Amazing Super 8 Reversal One-stop Difference

Guest santo

:lol:

okey-dokey alex. whatever you want to believe. it's a waste of time to argue with religious fundamentalists that the Earth is not 6000 years old, too. you're both entitled to your beliefs.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
I'm glad to hear about your memories of your college days 20 some years ago. It's too bad they don't match with reality. They were developed at one of the world's leading labs for black and white motion picture film.

You know, I like you , Alex. You're a funny guy. I don't think most people appreciate your humour, but I do.

By the way, that black and white film was Decoy for Terror, which just won an experimental film award at the Rutgers Super-8 film festival.

• Premium Member
how come the stills from that film look so terrible? Is that on purpose?

bbtitle.jpg

By terrible do you mean dark?

One of my computer monitors shows them as dark, but another monitor shows them with more subtle gray scales. It seems so much easier to keep television monitors calibrated than computer monitors so I don't know which one to trust.

Does it look too dark to others as well?

:lol:

okey-dokey alex. whatever you want to believe. it's a waste of time to argue with religious fundamentalists that the Earth is not 6000 years old, too. you're both entitled to your beliefs.

unless you created the earth, or perhaps you know who did, it is impossible to know 100% that the earth is more than 6000 years old.

It is my observation that (like the film stills) you often employ diversionary arguments to detract from your innacuracy. If you are indeed accurate, it seems that you are not on account of your pointless diversionary tactics.

• Premium Member
unless you created the earth, or perhaps you know who did, it is impossible to know 100% that the earth is more than 6000 years old.

You could make that argument about anything. What, being 99.99999999...% sure that the Earth is older than 6,000 years isn't good enough? Read this:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

By terrible do you mean dark?

One of my computer monitors shows them as dark, but another monitor shows them with more subtle gray scales. It seems so much easier to keep television monitors calibrated than computer monitors so I don't know which one to trust.

Does it look too dark to others as well?

They look great on my monitor. And certainly better than any of the sludge that M'Lord has posted.

Hey Santo, please post some more stills of "the door" from this big "project" you're working on. :lol:

Tim

Guest Ian Marks

Okay, I haven't read all the other posts in this thread (I already have the beginnings of a headache from the "Japanazoom" thread), but I did want to say that the "overexposed" example looks like the best of the three to me. If this is a white or off-white door, it is certainly the one that is correctly exposed. Remember that if you use the TTL meter in your camera, even if it is spot on accurate, it is trying to create an overall 18% grey exposure. If you're taking a reading off of a very light or very dark object, you need to compensate. The classic example of this is when you shoot a predominantly white, snowy landscape. If you rely on your internal meter, your results will be grey and muddy (and of course this is going to be especially apparent on reversal film, where there's no opportunity to correct for exposure in the printing process). I find it helpful to carry an 18% grey card with me to assist with metering, along with a hand held meter that takes incident readings. A Macbeth color checker is nice to have too. This is photography 101 stuff, so please don't try to tell me otherwise.

Okay, I haven't read all the other posts in this thread (I already have the beginnings of a headache from the "Japanazoom" thread), but I did want to say that the "overexposed" example looks like the best of the three to me. If this is a white or off-white door, it is certainly the one that is correctly exposed. Remember that if you use the TTL meter in your camera, even if it is spot on accurate, it is trying to create an overall 18% grey exposure. If you're taking a reading off of a very light or very dark object, you need to compensate. The classic example of this is when you shoot a predominantly white, snowy landscape. If you rely on your internal meter, your results will be grey and muddy (and of course this is going to be especially apparent on reversal film, where there's no opportunity to correct for exposure in the printing process). I find it helpful to carry an 18% grey card with me to assist with metering, along with a hand held meter that takes incident readings. A Macbeth color checker is nice to have too. This is photography 101 stuff, so please don't try to tell me otherwise.

I agree.

It looks to me that the third picture is correctly exposed, the first is underexposed by a stop and the second picture is underexposed by two stops, but that too is relative

Nothing is gained in reversal film from one stop underexposure, much less from two stops.

It is my observation that (like the film stills) you often employ diversionary arguments to detract from your innacuracy. If you are indeed accurate, it seems that you are not on account of your pointless diversionary tactics.

Dear Jesus,

Why did your dad put dinosaur bones in the earth?

-Jonnie

Dear Jonnie-

Nice to hear from you. Been awhile. In response to your querry, dad put Dinosaur bones on earth just to question your faith. Write back soon. Its been too long.

-Jesus

P.S. Stop touching yourself.

• Premium Member
Dear Jesus,

Why did your dad put dinosaur bones in the earth?

-Jonnie

Dear Jonnie-

Nice to hear from you. Been awhile. In response to your querry, dad put Dinosaur bones on earth just to question your faith. Write back soon. Its been too long.

-Jesus

P.S. Stop touching yourself.

STOP IT - JUST PLAIN G*D D**N STOP IT! THIS IS A FORUM FOR CINEMATOGRAPHERS AND THEIR INTERESTS, NOT FOR SOPHOMORIC MENTAL DIARRHEA. :angry:

Go find yourself a hate use group and get this C**P off this Forum. Or at least leave this kind of dreck in the Off Topic area.

Hate group? I don't feel hate, ever. This was a jovial response to another members post. My pastor actually told me this as an aside to a conversation we had about the book Genisis and the Darwin book Origin of the Species. He thought it funny, so did I. While the humor may be sophmoric there was no intent to piss you off. As for the validity of the post on this thread, your comments are duly noted.

-Jonnie :)

• Premium Member
Hate group? I don't feel hate, ever. This was a jovial response to another members post. My pastor actually told me this as an aside to a conversation we had about the book Genisis and the Darwin book Origin of the Species. He thought it funny, so did I. While the humor may be sophmoric there was no intent to piss you off. As for the validity of the post on this thread, your comments are duly noted.

-Jonnie :)

Duly noted. I was mad at just how far off topic this thread was getting, not so much at you personally. With respect to Santo's original post, the door looks very unevenly lit to my eye, a full stop from top to bottom maybe?

Edmond, OK.

Yeah, this shows how important it is to expose correctly for S8. (well, any film really...) And to light for S8.....But also how forgiving film stock in general is when overexposed. The overexposure shot is workable whereas the underexposed, well maybe it's good for a certain "look" but wouldn't fly as an accident in exposure.

You could make that argument about anything. What, being 99.99999999...% sure that the Earth is older than 6,000 years isn't good enough? Read this:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

haha, so this is gonna be even further off topic, but what the heck, this thread can use it.

So you're 99.9% sure of an old earth, I happen to be 99.9% sure of a young earth. I read that article and all those arguments are compelling and convincing. Everyone uses the same evidence, but everyone seems to have a different interpretation of it, and I have heard many very compelling and convincing young earth presentations. Perhaps we are both slaves to our presuppositions.

Plus, if you believe in an old earth, you probably accept evolution, and geez, that theory falls apart faster than this thread has.

Anyway yeah that door...now that's a door man

haha, so this is gonna be even further off topic, but what the heck, this thread can use it.

So you're 99.9% sure of an old earth, I happen to be 99.9% sure of a young earth. I read that article and all those arguments are compelling and convincing. Everyone uses the same evidence, but everyone seems to have a different interpretation of it, and I have heard many very compelling and convincing young earth presentations. Perhaps we are both slaves to our presuppositions.

Plus, if you believe in an old earth, you probably accept evolution, and geez, that theory falls apart faster than this thread has.

Anyway yeah that door...now that's a door man

I wish those two guys would start fighting again.... :-)

www.alexardenti.com

While the humor may be sophmoric there was no intent to piss you off.

it was funny, but since you're obviously religious we must hate you for saying it. only atheists can make such jokes, ok?

/matt

(?ti gniwollof txet cinatas siht htiw yllaicepse ,dekrow msacras eht fi rednow i)

it was funny, but since you're obviously religious we must hate you for saying it. only atheists can make such jokes, ok?

/matt

(?ti gniwollof txet cinatas siht htiw yllaicepse ,dekrow msacras eht fi rednow i)

I didn't say I believed in god...Maybe I was trying to convert my pastor to atheism? :P

No really, I'm an atheist but much of my family are Lutheran. I went to a Lutheran school until 1st grade, the whole thing. I actually like the pastors at church. Cool dudes. I just ended up a "nonbeliever". And I have no ill will towards the church whatsoever, and them, me. I can't remember one bad experience there as a child or ever feeling uncomfortable. Whenever I go there to pick up a family member, if I see Pastor Hawke, we'll get a little rap session going. Very fun. This conversation actually took place after a friends kid was baptised.

P.S. Yes, I can read satanic messages. It all started when I was a kid and played my "BLOOD SAUSAGE" record backwards.... :lol:

:lol: No, no, no...It was a joke.( I was born with the ability to read satanic messages. ) The "BLOOD SAUSAGE" thing is a line Mary Stewart-Masterson says in the episode GO TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS directed by Robert Zemeckis for the anthology tv series AMAZING ATORIES from 1986. I guess I'm the only who got it.... :(

Edited by BARCA

:lol: No, no, no...It was a joke.( I was born with the ability to read satanic messages. ) The "BLOOD SAUSAGE" thing is a line Mary Stewart-Masterson says in the episode GO TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS directed by Robert Zemeckis for the anthology tv series AMAZING ATORIES from 1986. I guess I'm the only who got it.... :(

HA! I thought you were talking about a real album (which I have on LP). See : http://www.tgrec.com/bands/band.php?id=80 (early Hardcore from Touch & Go)