Bayo or standard anamorphics?

David Sweetman

I've been interested in using anamorphic lenses for some time, and in a recent post concerning the imitation of the "james bond" look, Mr. Mullen suggested using 16mm with anamorphic lenses. My question is, does anyone know of an anamorphic lens that is in Arri standard or bayonet mount? I assume they might be easier to find in PL, but I'm interested in picking one up for my arri 16bl, which is bayonet mount, and (i think) is backwards compatible with standard mount lenses. Also, do anamorphics come in zooms? I've had trouble finding this information elsewhere on the web, so thanks in advance for any responses

-Dave Sweetman

Hi Dave, Great question.

Most anamorphic systems for 16mm. were add-on lenses meant for particular (medium) focal range fixed focal lenses and mostly did not survive (commercially) into the late 60's. There are very few arround, and I doubt any were made specifically for Arri Bl's or most other news-crew geared cameras.

35mm. Studio cameras had built-in anamorphic set-ups, but I'd love to hear about 16mm. anamorphic taking lenses for 16mm. cameras.

Anybody know of some ?