Super16 Krasnogorsk-3

Guest Josh Gannon

Guest Josh Gannon

Sorry to Bring this up again!

I have been a member here scince July but This is my first post simply because when ever I have a question I usually find that the question has already been asked and answered somwhere on this fantasic site.

Anyway, I recently purchased a K3 off ebay for US$102 dollars, (After shipping to Australia I ended up paying AU$250) As a flim student this has been the best investment I have ever made. As soon as I got my camera I had the school camera Tech pull it apart, service it and modify the gat to Super16. (as per instructions that are found in these forums and k3camera.com.

I shot my first test roll using the standard lens and didn't like the result! There was alot of scratching down the extended area of the frame, I had pulled purfs all through the reel and the lens that came with my camera seemed really soft.

I had the school camera tech again dismantle the camera, re-polish the gate and check all the rollers, he foued that one of the rollers was sticking and therefore causing friction agianst the film there fore scrathing and pulling the purfs.

After this was resolved I purchased a Zenit 16mm 2.8 lens brand new, still sealed of ebay for around AU$175, I have just completed my first film on my new camera and I must say when I sat in telecine here at cutting edge in Brisbane I was completely blown away.

The images are absolutly spectacular, sharp, colourful, and fairly stable. there is a bit of gate movement but I wouldn't expect anything else from a camera with out registration.

Basically I think this camera is supurb, I have read alot of people have bought bad ones so I guess I got lucky. I love my new camera, for film student these things are awesome, well worth the small amount you will pay for one. I just can't wait to get out and shoot my next film.

Josh Gannon

Brisbane, Australia

• Premium Member

I've had a similar experience with mine. For paying so little you can get great images. When the lighting and exposure is right, you can get some amazing shots on film.

The lens that came with the camera gives very good results for me, although the S16 coverage is only past 24 or so. I just picked up a 28mm Super-Takumar M42 lens that I'm looking forward to experimenting with and have the 16mm Zenit on order as well. Good to hear you had such great results with that lens, I assume it covers the full S16 image?

Guest Josh Gannon

Thats correct, as far as I know pretty much all of the M42 lenes that you can get apart from the standard zoom are designed to cover 5 perf 35mm, for use with M42 SLR cameras so yess it covers the full super16 frame. I also have picked up myself a old pentax with an m42 mount, you can take some great stills with the 16mm lens. nice and sharp and you get the full fisheye affect.

Josh Gannon

www.13pictures.com

• Premium Member

The one thing to look out for on those M42 lenses is that they have a FULLY MANUAL setting for F-Stop. The Super-Takumar Pentax lenses do, but alot of the 3rd party manufacturers left that off and only offer a preview button that doesn't help very much.

There have been a few posts on this subject, probably worth a search.

Guest Josh Gannon

As someone else described in a topic earlier you can push the preview button in and then to one side a little so it stays stuck down. I have alter my 16mm Zenit like this and it works like a treat.

Josh Gannon

www.13pictures.com

Josh,

I too have just purchased a K-3, but have not yet shot anything. It might be a while for me because I'm trying to also purchase minimum lighting as well as a decent meter before I start. Do you have any clips or stills of your shots to look at?

Brad

I'd love to know where I could pick up one of these K3's up in London, UK....

ebay often has many K-3 for sale. Being in London, you can also purchase them from Russia or the Ukraine. As for a Super 16 conversion, check out http://www.k3camera.com. They sell the super 16 gate that you install. They also supply the instructions. If you are not up to the task, you could take it to a camera shop that could do it for you. I am going to have my k3 upgraded to make a great little super 16 MOS camera.

chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Josh Gannon
Josh,

I too have just purchased a K-3, but have not yet shot anything. It might be a while for me because I'm trying to also purchase minimum lighting as well as a decent meter before I start. Do you have any clips or stills of your shots to look at?

Brad

I have just shot another short with my camera that I am taking to telecine this coming monday, I will post some clips some time next week.