freeware video editing

Guest Luke McMillian

Hey I was wondering if Avid free DV or abc video roll are enough to edit decent drama movies with. How important is many audio or video tracks, I'm pretty sure these programs have 4 video tracks and 4 audio tracks, also sony vegas movie studio + dvd platinum edition has the same specs. I understand for audio you have an atmosphere track, dialogue, sound fx, music...so what really more do you need. Is the extra space really used that much? Also if it is used up couldn't you just mix all 4 of those tracks down in an audio editing program and enter that as one audio track and then free up the other 3 tracks? Sorry If this sounds confusing I'm still learning about video editing. Same with the video tracks as well, how many video tracks do you really need? this will rerally clear up a lot for me getting wise advice from you guys. Thank you in advance.

LukeO

The Avid FreeDV has one video and two audio tracks. I've got it for doing my showreels, however for anything more complex you're going to need a lot more audio tracks. For a drama 4 tracks isn't really enough, chances are you'll need at least 2 dialogue tracks and if you could need any number of tracks for building up the sound effects, plus then there's the music. I'd say you'd need at least 8 tracks. You always find that you're running out, my last short drama had 24 tracks. Using stereo sound will use up a lot of tracks.

I expect you could find a way of working around it using third party audio software. However Avid FreeDv only a demo and I understand you can't use it and then transfer your editing to one of their full programs.

Hey,

how could I work my way around it using 3rd party audio software? Any freeware program you'd recomend? I just can't afford $600 editing software. Is there any tricks you can do with windows movie maker to get in more audio or video tracks? Also I was looking at the video editing software at www.thugsatbay.com called zwei stein ZS4 video edior/compositor , anybody have any experience with it?

Hey,

how could I work my way around it using 3rd party audio software? Any freeware program you'd recomend? I just can't afford $600 editing software. Is there any tricks you can do with windows movie maker to get in more audio or video tracks? Also I was looking at the video editing software at www.thugsatbay.com called zwei stein ZS4 video edior/compositor , anybody have any experience with it?

You could try Audacity. It's a freeware sound editor and has multi tracking. You'd have to work out the syncing issue, but perhaps by laying down a couple of tracks on the Free DV at a time, they could be dumped over into the Audiacity and your sound track built up. It's really intended for home studio type use, but might be worth testing. I haven't used it, but a friend has used it for their music.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If you're looking for free a/v programs I would check out http://www.sourceforge.net It has a great selection of open source software and there are people out there doing some cool video stuff. You'd need to install the Linux OS on your computer. There is information out there on doing that so you can run you still use Windows or Mac.

I just downloaded Avid FreeDV its not bad at all the only thing is you can only do one video track and thats rough when im used to using FCP at school and having 8 tracks.

Anyway the only thing I found to be a problem was you have to CAPTURE footage in AVID or it takes forever.

Peace.

David Silverstein

I just downloaded Avid FreeDV its not bad at all the only thing is you can only do one video track and thats rough when im used to using FCP at school and having 8 tracks.

Anyway the only thing I found to be a problem was you have to CAPTURE footage in AVID or it takes forever.

Peace.

David Silverstein

The multi camera function is found on the full Avid programs. Avid Free DV does ofter various methods of displaying the shots in the bin/bins, including storyboard. With these you really need to be thinking like a film editor; most would tend to do an assembly and then start trimming to tighten everything up.

It's also good if you want to practise using the keyboard for the full Avid programs.

I imported a short piece of QuickTime - you may as well go off and leave it chugging away. It is slow.

• Premium Member

I recently saw a factory sealed box of Final Cut Pro HD sell for $200 on eBay. Of course, it was last years version. But, for the 80% savings compared to this years version, I think it was an exceptional deal.

I'm sure you could find similar deals on Avid and Adobe software, too.

Hey guys,

I've decided on purchasing Adobe premiere elements for $129 canadian, it is an amazing deal for how much stuff is included. Up to 99 video and audio tracks, alpha channels, compositing options and dvd authoring. Thanks for all the help everybody.

LukeO