Support for long lenses

Henri Titchen

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the lens is the Arri standard mount. I have heard that the Arri standard mount is weaker than many others.

The camera that the zoom would be used on is an Arri 2B or C. It has the handheld motor rather than the flatbase. Is the lens support that I am looking for the same as is used for the ultrascope lenses?

Thanks From,

Henry.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the lens is the Arri standard mount. I have heard that the Arri standard mount is weaker than many others.

The camera that the zoom would be used on is an Arri 2B or C. It has the handheld motor rather than the flatbase. Is the lens support that I am looking for the same as is used for the ultrascope lenses?

Thanks From,

Henry.

Hi,

I think there is a lens support from above available. The Arri standard mount is not at all strong, and with rotating lens mounts, this makes the flange depth less accurate than a camera with PL or BNCR mount..

Stephen

There are a few options out there for lens support for such rigs. The old standby was a rod emanating from either the square hole or short steel tab (depending on camera vintage) above and to te side of the lens from which the mattebox commonly mounts. Attached to this rod is a ring which wraps the lens at a given spot and takes the pressure off the mount. This is of course a very specific item for a specific lens, so if your lens did not come with one then you either need to talk to a place like Visual Products or find a friendly machinist to make one for you.

Do you have the tripod adapter for this camera? If not, they are a very in-expensive rental (like $10/day from Alan Gordon in LA), and then you can use more traditional rods and lens support.

chuck haine

I guess you mean a flat base? I noticed this nice item on e-bay (7563383656). Is this the approach you had in mind?

Thanks From,

Henry.