Light Meters

Guy Meachin

Can anyone reccomend a good Sekonic or any other light meter for a photographer/ aspiring DP? I need something that I will be able to use for a long time into the future and hopefully for when I eventually find work as a DP.

How does the Sekonic L-558Cine DualMaster rate? Is this for both Photography and Cine usage?

• Premium Member
Can anyone reccomend a good Sekonic or any other light meter for a photographer/ aspiring DP? I need something that I will be able to use for a long time into the future and hopefully for when I eventually find work as a DP.

How does the Sekonic L-558Cine DualMaster rate? Is this for both Photography and Cine usage?

I don't know the excact type, but if you want something to use it for still photography, you should find one that takes flash readings too.Sekonic is a very reliable brand, and Minolta also.

Dimitrios Koukas

Again, for my two cents, having a "all-in-one" light meter just seems unnecesary.

Maybe if it is your first meter it's ok because you would be saving money not buying an incident and a reflected. But still, you'll find yourself using the incident far more than the reflected. As far as a photo-cine meter I think seconik makes attachments for flash and other photo goodies. However, the minolta IV I've had for 9 years also has them, and they're cheaper.

i my self have the 508 and its a great light meter and l useing it also on still photography so he read flash and have a cord.

i like it beter then the 608 mainly becose of the batteres its use one AA that you can get every were.

and its much lighter

ram

• Premium Member

I love my 558. All in one meters benefit you in that you won't suffer sensor variations between spot and ambience readings, especially calibration variations. The 558 has a lot of complex settings and it can be easy to lose track of those but that can be overcome with familiarity.