Arri IIc owners/users question

GeorgeSelinsky

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask anyone who owns an Arri IIc or used one enough to know what the shutter looks like looking in from the gate out to the lens? What I'm specifically talking about are the sprocket teeth that are around the central column of the shutter. Are yours painted black or are they exposed metal?

I've been having a problem with my IIc because of a flickering flare issue that simply won't die. It's been eating at me forever. I've painted the edges of my shutter and tried as best as possible to black out the gate with a sharpie. I've checked the back of my lenses and they're all dark enough. Visual Products did some painting too, when I sent the camera in for service.

I've always noticed that the longer lenses (which have a larger piece of rear glass) cause more frequent flicker flare than the 25mm.

Now I looked at those bare metal sprockets on the inner side of the shutter and it has me scratching my long haired head, maybe that has been the cause of my misery?

Thanks for any advice,

- G.

I wanted to ask anyone who owns an Arri IIc or used one enough to know what the shutter looks like looking in from the gate out to the lens? What I'm specifically talking about are the sprocket teeth that are around the central column of the shutter. Are yours painted black or are they exposed metal?

Mine (that is before I sold it)was painted black.Is yours variable?The reason I ask,is that if there is something out of kilter on your shutter and it's not locking it into a particular setting,I've heard that can cause some flicker problems.

Now I looked at those bare metal sprockets on the inner side of the shutter and it has me scratching my long haired head, maybe that has been the cause of my misery?

I don't recall ( been over a year since I sold my 2 C and over 5 years since I used it) exactly,but that doesn't sound right to me.I just remember seeing the shutter,which was black and had the markings for where you set the degrees.I don't recall seeing bare shutter teeth.Hope this helps.

Marty

George, I had a similar problem with my 2C. The problem turned out to be the mounting screw on the shutter disc itself. Lenses with larger rear elements were actually touching the shutter. There are replacement screws available ($40 + labor) that have recessed heads. What lens mount do you have? Another problem I ran into was a far frame-right vertical flare that appeared while shooting single frame exposures into a light unit with diffuson. The flare was identical to one that appeared on a Panavised Arri-3 that I shot with previously (hmmm). I wish I had my 2C in front of me to check out the shutter. Anyway I hope this helps.

Brett

• 10 months later...
Guest Bruce Frye

I've taken apart many 2Cs and some have the bare metal teeth and others are blacked. It is best to paint them black. Have you noticed some of the old Arri 2Cs have a velvety kind of flocking all around the Shutter/gate area? Sharpie is not good enough, flat paint is neccessary. Do you have at least 2 light baffles in you ground glass holder? Thanks, Bruce.