Pics from the set.

• Premium Member

Go through some of the production journals, most of them have pictures.

David posts some, but his are higher budget projects.

I posted some from my very low budget project. If you want to just go through the directory, go here:

http://www.kevinzanit.com/thesedays/pictures/

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

WDWE054.JPG

I looked thru my photos and realized I don't have many with the lights in the shot -- partially because I try and light from farther away so they're off-camera, and also I try and keep it simple. In this example, there is a (off-camera) foamcore softbox of lightbulbs overhead, diffused with 216 or 1000H paper, and a duventine black skirt (barely visible), rolled up & held with big paperclips.

Edited by David Mullen

• Premium Member

here are some pics from some stuff I've shot.

a junior through a 216 frame behind me (the camera operator).

post-6123-1133742802.jpg

A softlight that I made in the shot and a pepper off the ceiling for fill. That little bundle of leaves on a stand was for a morning shot in which I cheated in a "window" by raking a heavily cropped 650w Arri through. That's me hiding behind the light.

post-6123-1133742872.jpg

a redhead and 650w fresnel through a shower curtain and my little homemade softlight. Also a naked 650 from camera left.

post-6123-1133743343.jpg

I was mid settup on this one but I ended up using my softlight again and three 650w Arri fresnels with 1/2 CTB for with breakups in front for a nice hard moonlight effect.

post-6123-1133743597.jpg

• Premium Member

I don't have too many photos with units in frame, but here's one......sort of

At the top left is an Image 80 with 6 3200K globes on, coming thru a 4x4 of 250. At the top right there's a 4x4 kino with all 4 3200K globes pointing straight down thru a 4x4 single (it's top lighting a closet). Outside the set (near top right) there's a 10K acting as early day sun coming through the windows - ambient light is being created by a maxibrute on the ground (unseen in this photo, but it's in front of the 10K) aimed up into the 12x12 griff, as well as 2 Mighty's to the left (one can barely be seen). The camera is off screen to the right shooting from the back of the closet into this room, so the tweenie seen on the set was placed to get a bit of an edge on our talent who eventually was standing in the closet doorway.

Looking back at my notes, this was shot on 5293 (rated at 125 asa) and my shooting stop was a T2.8 1/3.

post-58-1133844839.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm not sure how people do the "click to enlarge" method, personally, but perhaps it's because I try and resize the photos in Photoshop / Paint Shop Pro so that they fit full-frame into a forum post -- so perhaps once a photo reaches a certain pixel dimension, the forum software automatically turns it into a "click to enlarge" postage stamp frame?

The last picture I posted was reduced to 682 x 511 pixels, and the DVD movie frames I usually post are slightly reduced from 720 pixels across to about 500 pixels or less in width. But Jayson's photo is 2272 pixels across....

Just a guess, but I would say that 700 pixels across is about the largest size you should post to fit onto the screen without needing the "click to enlarge" method, and probably 600 pixels across would be ideal.

Edited by David Mullen

I believe it is because you are using the "file attatchments" tool:

post-6037-1133849426.jpg

Whereas David is hosting the image on his own website (apparently http://www.davidmullenasc.com) and then using the "insert image" tool on the top toolbar (it looks like a small green tree):

smoke.jpg

There's plenty of free image hosting sites out there, just google "free image hosting"

• Premium Member

Oops! Sorry about that - clicked on attachment button and then went off to do other internet stuff in another window without bothering to look at which version of the file it was attaching (I attached the full rez one versus the smaller version I'd made for such postings).

Lesson learned - apologies for the massive file.

i have some here. click behind the scenes. i directed this one. johan nordström was the dp. there are at least a few images showing some equipment, even though like david johan likes to light from outside of the scene to keep it simple and allow for more moving around.

http://www.mattias.nu/jagbaraundrar/

/matt

• Premium Member

Here's some BTS stills from a Noir piece I just finished. It was a really low budget project, but it was a fun shoot. The lights were mainly 1k and 2k Mole openface and fresnels to achieve the Noir look. Shot on 2 XL1s cameras in black and white. BTW that's me in the dark shirt.

post-1980-1134433543.jpg

post-1980-1134433575.jpg

post-1980-1134433615.jpg