lee filters and gobos

Guest Luke McMillian

Hey I ordered a gel swatch from Lee filters. I understand that these are for lights, but I came across some swatches that are neutral density. They reduce 1/2 a stop, 1 stop, 2 stops etc. i was wondering can these be applied or taped to the outside of my camcorder and behave the same way as an actual filter meant for a camcorder? Also there are colour temperature correcting swatches, can these be used in the same way for mixed light situations? or is it better to colour correct the lights then what the camera sees?

Also I've been playing around with some low budget ideas for my light kit, I was wondering what would be a good way to help focus gobosor cookies? to make them sharp and distinct on the wall when light goes through them. I've made one resembling a window frame by cutting 4 rectangles on a pie plate and attaching this to a home depot 150 watt reflector lamp. When I turn the light on i get a lot of reflections from the pie plate but also not a hard edge light that I'd like, I'm using a type A clear bulb 150 watts, would a spot light type bulb work better, or would it work at all in my fixture- the 100 watt halogen spot lights, they look similar to flood lights you'd use for outside a garage. Any ideas?

Thank you

Luke

• Premium Member

Lighting gels are not optically good enough to be used as camera filters -- the ND gels are meant for windows usually (although I have used them like scrims, like in a Dedolight.)

To get a sharp pattern, you need a sharp light and the pattern maker has to be as far from the light and as close to the subject as possible. Generally a bright light far away makes a good sharp source. You would usually use a pattern maker that is matte black rather than shiny metal to reduce reflections.

Ellipsoidal lamps like Dedolights, Lekos, Source-4's have lenses in front and can take projector attachments to project gobo patterns inside the lamp onto walls.

If you're working with shop work lights, it's a huge, spread-out light source. The light needs to be more focused to get the effect you want. Ideally, you want a light with a lens in it that will focus your light, but if you're working with a shoplight, then you'll need to be creative. You could try making a home-made snoot out of long, black posterboard and putting your cucoloris at the end of that...? Try it and see.

• Premium Member

Hello,

U can use clear brand new gels in front of the lens, only if you want to change the white balance, they aren't good for shooting, they will reduce the resolution of your lens.(unless u want this).

U can use ND gels infront of lights in case that u are tight in space and don't have more scrims available.

To focus a gobo infront of an openface light or a difused one, u need distance from it.

As far as u move it away from the light it will be more focused, and the opposite, if you want the edges of it or it's shape diffused, u move it closer.Try make your own gobos with cardboard or cinefoil.

Dimitrios Koukas