"In this world" by Michael Winterbottom

Thanks for the links Marcel, Very useful!

It seems to me that not too many people have shot something significant with the V1, probably because it's fairly new in the market.

I don?t understand why all the ultra budget film makers in this forum talk so much on cameras like RED where they really should be talking about cameras like the V1 that have great price and are more realistic in its work flow.

Maybe they should take a look in films that you have shot, I think they will be very surprised to see how much composition, light, locations etc help you to create great images.

For me this is the real revolution of video film making, to be able to shot great pictures with a camera that become like a pen in the hands of the writer.

Just a point to think about,

So thanks again Marcel

Oron.

(and again sorry about the english)

• 1 month later...

Hey Marcel

I hope everything is going well for you and you have been shooting heaps. You are a huge inspiration for me, I have a few questions for you? What settings did you shoot RTG and 9 songs with? Also how are you finding the V1 compared to the DVX. I like the appeal of HD but i just love the colours that i can get out of the DVX. Though i am also pretty blown away by the HVXs colour. Have you used many of the newer lower cost HD cams or should i say prosumer. Just asking because i really value any of your responses to questions on this forum and i think you really push the envelope in the dv world just check out your films!

Anyway ciao for now

Hi Sam

Thank you for your compliments, everything is going very well. I have just returned home from Cannes. I had two films showing there, A Mighty Heart and Mister Lonely, so it was great to be there. Otherwise it's pretty over the top there and I'm glad to be home.

With regards to settings for 9 Songs, I shot that in 50i rather than 25p. That was due to the fact that we were still using our PD150's to intercut scenes with. Camera settings other than that I don't really recall. Standard settings. Anamorphic lenses.

For Road to Guantanamo, I used the settings from swisseffects.ch. I really liked that look, it gives a slightly low contrasty look which is good for the grade. Other than that is was shot in 25p with an anamorphic lens on.

Michael's next film we will be shooting on the new Sony V1. I did a test recently, shot on the V1, HVX200 in dv mode and S16mm. The V1 stood out surprisingly well. 16mm still has a more organic look, but was grainer. The dv just didn't look very good compared to the two other cameras.

HVX in P2 mode is not an option when shooting with Michael. Too cumbersome...

Hope that helps a bit.

All the best

Marcel

Hey Marcel

I hope everything is going well for you and you have been shooting heaps. You are a huge inspiration for me, I have a few questions for you? What settings did you shoot RTG and 9 songs with? Also how are you finding the V1 compared to the DVX. I like the appeal of HD but i just love the colours that i can get out of the DVX. Though i am also pretty blown away by the HVXs colour. Have you used many of the newer lower cost HD cams or should i say prosumer. Just asking because i really value any of your responses to questions on this forum and i think you really push the envelope in the dv world just check out your films!

Anyway ciao for now

• 1 month later...

Hi Marcel,

just wondering if you'd started shooting with the V1 yet, and if so, if you have the time to post some more thoughts on the camera's imagery. I'm about to start a three-week documentary shoot using the camera and unfortunately, will not have time to test it beforehand, so I'm relying on reviews and net forums to glean any info I can about how the camera performs. Have you used it in low-light/available light situations? I've read that the V1 is rated even slower than the z1 and that its gain reduces resolution, which worries me, since my shoot will primarily be shot with available light, and much of it will be evening interiors.

Thanks for any advice you can provide,

Stas

Hi Marcel,

just wondering if you'd started shooting with the V1 yet, and if so, if you have the time to post some more thoughts on the camera's imagery. I'm about to start a three-week documentary shoot using the camera and unfortunately, will not have time to test it beforehand, so I'm relying on reviews and net forums to glean any info I can about how the camera performs. Have you used it in low-light/available light situations? I've read that the V1 is rated even slower than the z1 and that its gain reduces resolution, which worries me, since my shoot will primarily be shot with available light, and much of it will be evening interiors.

Thanks for any advice you can provide,

Stas

Hi Stas

I can not recommend the V1 for low light shooting. It is really a slow camera. We have been lighting night interiors more so than usual.

Another thing we have problems with is "motion reproduction". The heavy HDV compression seems to have some problems with excessive movement like handheld camera work, steadicam work and shooting from cars on bumpy roads. I've never experienced anything like it on any other camera. It like the image jutters when the camera movement is to fast or bumpy!? All the steadishot modes are turned off.

We are still shooting on this camera and I must say that it is a well built camera. But I'm not convinced by this HDV format...

Definitly do some tests.

All the best

Marcel

Another thing we have problems with is "motion reproduction". The heavy HDV compression seems to have some problems with excessive movement like handheld camera work, steadicam work and shooting from cars on bumpy roads. I've never experienced anything like it on any other camera. It like the image jutters when the camera movement is to fast or bumpy!? All the steadishot modes are turned off.

We are still shooting on this camera and I must say that it is a well built camera. But I'm not convinced by this HDV format...

Hi Marcel,

Are you shooting direct to tape, or using the V1's 60gb external hard drive?

Edited by Saul Pincus

Hi Stas

I can not recommend the V1 for low light shooting. It is really a slow camera.

I was afraid of that. Are you shooting the whole film at 0db gain and 1/48th shutter to minimize noise and the smeary video look of a slower (1/24th) shutter?

I plan to shoot at 1/24th shutter and up to 6db gain if necessary to eke out an image in low-light situations, and am hoping that will be enough to produce an acceptable image, as many of the situations I'll be shooting will not allow for any supplementary lighting, except perhaps an on-camera lite panel.

I may also check out the Canon XH-A1, which I've read produces beautiful images, is more light-sensitive, and the 24F mode of which pretty closely resembles actual 24P footage, albeit at a slightly lesser resolution than the camera's interlaced mode.

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Good shooting,

Stas

I was afraid of that. Are you shooting the whole film at 0db gain and 1/48th shutter to minimize noise and the smeary video look of a slower (1/24th) shutter?

I plan to shoot at 1/24th shutter and up to 6db gain if necessary to eke out an image in low-light situations, and am hoping that will be enough to produce an acceptable image, as many of the situations I'll be shooting will not allow for any supplementary lighting, except perhaps an on-camera lite panel.

I may also check out the Canon XH-A1, which I've read produces beautiful images, is more light-sensitive, and the 24F mode of which pretty closely resembles actual 24P footage, albeit at a slightly lesser resolution than the camera's interlaced mode.

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Good shooting,

Stas

Hi

We shoot on tape. And we are shooting the whole film at 0db gain and 1/50th shutter.

Don't know the Canon camera unfortunatly.

All the best

Marcel

• 9 months later...

I just watched A Mighty Heart and confess I didn´t figure out it was completely shot on HD until I watched the making of. Fantastic work. There was one small detail that made me think: "did he intend to do it?". Well, I have a pocket Sanyo Xacti camera, for home videos purpose only. It looks like a pistol grip and even when you are so concetrated not to shake, you realize it´s impossible due to it´s size and weight. When I watch its clips on large TVs, looks like there was a small engine inside my hands. Your camera on those wedding scenes sometimes shake EXACTLY like that. So it becomes obvious you wanted to achieve sort of a ´home video look´, and what a perfect shakeness you got there!