"In this world" by Michael Winterbottom

Dear Friends...

I Just saw on dvd winterbottom´s movie "In this world"....

I liked the movie and the simplicity of the camera work very much....

I believe they shot the entire movie with a Sony PD100... But I saw the "behind the Scenes" footage and realized they had a specially made handle for the camera wich makes it easier to grab it... and also saw they had something else on top of the camera... like two electronical modules connected to the camera that I don´t know what they are... I wonder if it´s something related to sound.... but I doubt it cause they had a guy recording sound separately.... so ???

Has anyone seen this extra material and/or know anything about it?

cheers to all of you

daniel vilar

Hi Daniel

Thank you for your nice words about In This World.

I was the cameraman on the film.

We used the pd150 camera with a 16:9 anamorphic lens. We also used the pc9 (for the mountain night scene).

The handles were custom made for me, they were very helpful.

On top of the camera there was a lockit timecode box going onto one track and on the other track we had our sound recordist transmitting his mix to us aswell. This was to help the editor.

All the best

Marcel

• 1 month later...

Just saw IN THIS WORLD and would like to congratulate you on your work.

I enjoyed the fluidity with which the camera moved and your use of the ambient light.

I might be shooting a road film for which your work is what the director pointed at and said " i want it to be a simple and beautiful as that, unintrusive camerawork"

we'll be shooting on the panasonic DVX100A with an anamorphic adaptor

On the DVD i saw the trailer of the film and somehow the colours looked desaturated and more natural than in the DVD??

I think after looking at the behind the scenes footage it seemed like you didn't touch the focus at all once it was set and sometimes it looked like the camera was in autofocus, am i right? i dont think my director is ready to go so far yet to stay on auto focus hes talking of a follow focus setup.

Some of the shots looked as if the camera was on auto iris? as the exposure changed dramitically in the shot. a certain shot from a train in which the sun appears from behind the buildings....

DId you feel that the double handed grip in that sense restricted you from setting up the camera?

also the dvd seemed to have certain filtration efects like a graduated filter but i had read somewhere that you didnt filter the image at all while shooting? was it all added in post? Could you please elaborate on the look of the film(filtration etc)? and how different the DVD looks from the film if at all ?

since you were shooting docu style, i think, did you have the luxury of NDs on windows, battery lights etc?

The double handed grip that you designed does it have any sort of stabilization system?

Since its your own design could you shed some more light on it ? Any Design plans?

Thank You Marcel

and congratulations again.

Manu Anand

New Delhi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Manu

Sorry about the late reply.

I am very happy you like the film.

I think the trailer must have been transferred from a print. The film itself in Pal dvd has been transferred from Digi Beta, and the Ntsc version from the IP.

You must have good eyes if you can see the settings on the pd150 in a behind the scenes film, but not good enough.

I never used the auto iris or auto focus. What was good though was the push auto button, where you can leave the focus setting in manual and use the push auto button to refocus. If you need to.

I was able to control, with my fingers, the controls even if my hand was on the handle I had for the camera.

With regards to the iris, I would set it for the different shots and only change if nessesary. I would never leave it on auto.

I only used 4x4 nd on the camera. Sometimes up to 1.5, sometimes also combined with the in camera nds. Sometimes not.

Later in grading we did ad a few grad filters. And in some scenes, particular the first part in Pakistan, we did ad a bit of warmth.

In terms of the print I think the transfer to print has slightly desatureted the overall look a little bit. Not in negative way I think. I was very happy with the print. An anamorphic 2.35 35mm blowup from a pd150 is not something I would do any day. But with this "road movie" it actually suited it very well.

I did not filter any windows. I didn't carry a car battery, I was the camera crew, so only I carried absolute nessesary things. I had enough cameras to carry already. 3 pd150s and 2 pc9s. We only used one pd150 at the time, apart from 1 or 2 scenes, where Michael also operated one. (The slaughtering of the cow.)

If I knew how to attach pictures to this post I could show you the handles, they are very simple.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

All the best

Marcel

Thanks Marcel for the information.

I wasn't sure whether you could touch the dials which is why i asked how you did it.

B)

The handles seemed restrictive from the behind the scenes footage.

I do have good eyes :) but your right not good enough.

Had one question though about "jamaal"'

The end of the movie left me very concerned.

Have the problems been sorted out?

Thanks Again

Manu Anand

Hi Manu

I didn't mean the things with your eyes in a bad way. It's just that I don't recall any closer frames of the camera where you are able to see the settings. Most of the shots with me and the camera are from afar. I'm sure your eyes are good enough for whatever they need to be good enough at!

The handles actually gave me a lot freedom. That's why I used them for 10 weeks. They made the camera a bit heavier together with the lockit and audio receiver on top of the camera. Which was both good and bad, good because being heavier it stabilised it a bit more on the back of pickup trucks, bad because I was carrying it in my arms away from my body. After 10 weeks, my arms were a bit sore, and my back.

Regarding Jamal. He is living in a Pakistani foster family in London. After we made the film, he went home with Enayatollah, but with the money he earned and a visa he still had he then made a trip to Paris and took the eurostar to London and seeked asylum. He was granted to stay until the day before his 18th birthday...

It will be interesting to see what happens when turns 18. Will he be sent back to Pakistan, where he has lived most of his life or will he be sent back to Afghanistan, which is his nationality, but he has never really lived there...

All the best

Marcel

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I realize this is an older post but I am new here and this post is actually what brought me to the forum.

I loved this film and the camera work. Espesially how ballsy it was with shooting in different modes and in all light conditions. Very cool.

But what I really want more info on is the Camera rig holder. I would love to have one made, does anyone know who built these or where I could order something similar.

here is a pic from the DVD extras...

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/34913564642.jpg&s=x11

Not the greatest pic of it but it should give you an idea.

thanks tons.

-rook

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rook

Sorry for the late reply.

The grips were made for me on order for In This World, but the guys who made them have now finally started a production of them with zoom handles and lots of other cool stuff. They are called Ugrip. They don't have any website yet but you can reach them on these numbers. It's in Denmark.

Malte +4520903443 or

Lars +4522167600

These new handles are great. I used them last summer on a film and they were fantastic. Tell them you spoke to me.

They only shame is that Panasonics lanc does not output iris or focus control, so you only have the control of the start/stop and zoom. But the handles still let you operate the focus easily.

All the best

Marcel

post-294-1136837939.jpg

Marcel,

Thanks so much for the info. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. It's such a clever design idea.

Thanks again for the reply. I really appreciate it.

-ravi steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Marcel.

Just a short congrats on "In This World". I saw it for the first time last night and was blown away by the realism in every way. On more then one occasion i had to stop and remember it was a narrative and not a documentary. You suceeded in every way to make a real story come to life on screen as a "real story"

Well Done

James.

• Premium Member

..."In This World" was the film that convinced me that great cinema can be made on Mini DV. I loved it. I also have a lot of admiration for the mode of production used to make the film. This is precisely how I want to work on my own documentary films: Light, fast, low key and with a small crew.

Thanks for sharing your experiences here Marcel. I look forward to seeing more of your work,

Cheers,

Steve

• 7 months later...

Marcel,

I finally got the chance to see "In This World," and was blown away by how great it looked. It was a terrific, moving film, and the cinematography -- from the natural lighting to the handheld shooting -- was beautiful.

I'd read the "American Cinematographer" article about the film, and knew the film had been shot with the PD-150, but I was consistently amazed at how unvideo-like most of the imagery looked, especially since the majority of it was shot in sunny exteriors. Very impressive to see DV look like this!

Also loved the looks of "Code 46" and "Nine Songs."

Looking forward to your next project,

Stas

• Premium Member

I fully agree with all the others here, a gutsy, moving and beautifully shot film

I'd read the "American Cinematographer" article about the film, and ......

Stas

Stas, can you remember what issue of ASC this was in?

I fully agree with all the others here, a gutsy, moving and beautifully shot film

Stas, can you remember what issue of ASC this was in?

Yeah, it's the Dec. 03 issue (Vol. 82, No. 12), with "21 Grams" on the cover.

I had to do an internet search for it before I went digging through my boxes of archived AC's, since I knew it would otherwise take me forever to find it.

Hi there

Thank you once again for your kind words.

I have found myself shooting in Pakistan a few times now since In This World. It's mad as always.

At the moment we're shooting a new Winterbottom film in India. The story is about Daniel Pearl and it is set in Karachi, Pakistan.

We're shooting HD on the Sony 750's and it is a challenge when most of the story is set in a house. The format just can't keep up with the highlights and windows blowing out. But it becomes a style and we just have to embrace it.

For those people who asked before about the handles I've used on DV, I can just say the the guys who made them for me have now gone pro and their gear is excellent. Their website is up now and it is www.ugrip.dk.

All the best

Marcel

• 2 months later...
Guest gumonstro

Beautiful cinematography. I love the way Marcel shoots night scenes with that natural mood. If you´re still around, tell me if there was a lot of gain on your PD150 for this film, corrected in post to decrease the levels of noise OR if that city and place you shot was naturally very well lit.

I intend to shoot a video for a rock band and we´ll probably have some night shots. I want to achieve that look that makes the city kind of 'glow' sometimes.

Beautiful cinematography. I love the way Marcel shoots night scenes with that natural mood. If you´re still around, tell me if there was a lot of gain on your PD150 for this film, corrected in post to decrease the levels of noise OR if that city and place you shot was naturally very well lit.

I intend to shoot a video for a rock band and we´ll probably have some night shots. I want to achieve that look that makes the city kind of 'glow' sometimes.

Hi Gumonstro

I did use upto 6db gain on the PD150. I don't think the gain upto 6db is as noticable on DV as it is on the higher end Sony HD cameras. On the HDW 750 the gain stands out as a sore thumb. Even at 3db.

I also think that the PD150 was very good at shooting in low light levels.

My favorite these days is still the Panasonic DVX100 in 25P mode. I haven't used the HVX200 and it's P2 options. But when I hold it in my hands it does not feel as comfortable as the DVX. Can't have it all. I wish Sony would make a small 25P camera.

Stas:

I can't say to much about "A Mighty Heart" yet. Will do when it's closer to it's release.

All the best

Marcel

Edited by Marcel Zyskind

• 2 months later...
Sorry to reawaken an old thread but I remember this film was in a 2.35 aspect ratio.

And I was just wondering how such a ratio is achieved with a prosumer DV camera?

Combination of anamorphic lens and cropping?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes, it was achieved with this combination.

Marcel

Hi Andy

Yes, it was achieved with this combination.

Marcel

Thanks Marcel

Shame there isn't a x2 anamorphic lens to mount on the front of DV camera available, i guess it would produce some pretty unusual images.

Andy

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

Thanks Marcel

Shame there isn't a x2 anamorphic lens to mount on the front of DV camera available, i guess it would produce some pretty unusual images.

Andy

Hi Andy

Yeah, that is a shame, but also it would make it pretty difficult to frame such squezed image. All though with a little practice...

What I'm looking for at the moment is a 1.3x anamorphic lens to go onto the new Sony V1. Unfortunatly the older ones that used to fit the PD150 does not fit the new Sony.

If anyone know a lensmaker around Europe somewhere who can make me a 1.3x anamorphic lens to fit the the Sony V1 please let me know.

All the best

Marcel

I liked the cinematography in "in this world" very, very, very much.

I was reading the posts of marcel about the making off of "in this

world".

I am shooting a film two days from now, I and the director decided that we want to use a small camera like the pd-150 or the dvx100b.

After a little research we decided to go with the new Sony V1 HDV camera because its tape based, because its 24P and because it is true 16:9 camera.

I hope I did a good choice to shoot on HDV mode (in the beginning I was thinking of shooting in DV mode), most of my work in video is on DVcam or DigiBeta and this all HDV thing make me nervures (all this crazy compression and color space issues).

Does anybody shoot with this camera yet? Does any one have suggestions on menu setup?

I would be very happy to hear from you all,

Oron

Sorry about my English.

I liked the cinematography in "in this world" very, very, very much.

I was reading the posts of marcel about the making off of "in this

world".

I am shooting a film two days from now, I and the director decided that we want to use a small camera like the pd-150 or the dvx100b.

After a little research we decided to go with the new Sony V1 HDV camera because its tape based, because its 24P and because it is true 16:9 camera.

I hope I did a good choice to shoot on HDV mode (in the beginning I was thinking of shooting in DV mode), most of my work in video is on DVcam or DigiBeta and this all HDV thing make me nervures (all this crazy compression and color space issues).

Does anybody shoot with this camera yet? Does any one have suggestions on menu setup?

I would be very happy to hear from you all,

Oron

Sorry about my English.

Hi Oron

Check out:

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=141

&

http://www.swisseffects.ch/english/e_tape/pages/e_tape.htm

All the best

Marcel