convert 23.976 to 24

Laurence Avenet

Hi,

I need to transfer a 23.976 HDCAM tape to 24p. Does anyone know of an affordable place to do it in Los Angeles?

Thanks,

Laurence Avenet-Bradley

I'm not too sure why you'd want to do this. 23.976p is the recommended frame rate for shooting HD in the US instead of 24p because of the NTSC drop frames. In Europe they shoot at 24p because they don't that problem. You won't notice the difference between 23.976p & 24p when it's projected. You can convert to all the other standard frame rates from 23.976p (25p & 29.97p)

I'm not too sure why you'd want to do this. 23.976p is the recommended frame rate for shooting HD in the US instead of 24p because of the NTSC drop frames. In Europe they shoot at 24p because they don't that problem. You won't notice the difference between 23.976p & 24p when it's projected. You can convert to all the other standard frame rates from 23.976p (25p & 29.97p)

Brian, I shot my project on 23.976 for the US, but now, there's a company in Europe which is requesting it in 24p. Do you know of a place in Los Angeles that can do that?

Thanks,

Laurence

Brian, I shot my project on 23.976 for the US, but now, there's a company in Europe which is requesting it in 24p. Do you know of a place in Los Angeles that can do that?

Thanks,

Laurence

I don't think this is an issue, but I suggest you check this with the guys at Band Pro in LA, who are usually helpful in giving information.

My understanding is that it should playback at 24p in Europe without you doing anything, it'll just run that very tiny fraction faster. They show 24 fps feature films in europe at 25fps in case you're concerned. I suspect the guys in Europe don't realize that almost all 24p productions in the US are shot at 23.976p. They're just told that the production is 24p.

It would become a problem if you're going to be doing post production there and you're sending double system sound tape with the HDCAM. You would have to talk through whole workflow.

• Premium Member

There's no reason to convert 23.98P to 24P -- just play 23.98P at 24 fps if you need to. Europe would want a conversion to 25P if anything but there's no reason to convert 23.98P to 24P.

Also many people also say "24P" when they mean "23.98P."

Thank you Brian and David. Here is the update:

I had the company I'm dealing with double check with their post house in Germany. It turns out the post house can work with 23.976 HDCAM tape and it doesn't make any difference for them in terms of quality or added cost. At 23.976, they'll still be able to do:

- a Digital Betacam PAL DownConvert from the HDCAM source.

- if needed, a transfer to 35mm interpositive or 35mm internegative

- an HDCAM transfer in 50i or 25P.

They are also doing a double system sound as I have a 5.1 mix of the project on DA88 at 29.97

Thanks again. This has really saved me money.

Laurence