Music Video Lens Flares

redbaron

What would be a typical way to achieve the horizontal OR vertical lens flare effect often seen in Music Videos? Is it a post thing or is it done with a filter? Often looks like a cross filter but the light goes either vertical or horizontal.

Thanks

• Premium Member

They're acieved in two ways. Either for real by the use of anamorphic lenses, or in post as an effect. The post ones look quite good, but normally the format gives it away - like a 4x3 video with flares in it is normally a dead giveaway.

Another easy way to do this is to use a mini mag light or a scorpion during the shot and shine it across the front of the lense. Move it up and down to get the horrizontal effect or shine it down toward the ground for the vertical effect moving it left to right. It takes a little bit of messing around to get the correct placement but it is a cool effect and really easy to do.

-Matthew Pebler

Tiffen makes a filter that is designed to recreate this type of flaring. It has lines etched across it and you can adjust the direction of the flaring by rotating the filter (if you have a rotating stage mattebox). I recently did this for a Monday Night Football spot that worked to great effect.

I think that the filter described above is called a star filter. You can get them in a few differnet flavors depending on how many many points you want. A star filter will not give the horrizontal flares, instead it takes a point light source in frame or a refelection of a light source and "stars it out" giving it the look of a star shining, and then you can rotate the direction of the points by rotating the filter, much like a polarizer.

-Matthew Pebler

mitch

whats there name?

ram

What would be a typical way to achieve the horizontal OR vertical lens flare effect often seen in Music Videos? Is it a post thing or is it done with a filter? Often looks like a cross filter but the light goes either vertical or horizontal.

Thanks

---Take a UV filter or a clear glass, lightly smear nose grease across it in a straight line pattern.

you'll get lens flairs that are perpendicular to the straks.

---LV

• Premium Member

A good technique for stylised flairs is to combine post and shooting- shoot the flairs you want against black and then comp them in post a good example of this was Kylie Minogues 'Cant get you out of my head video'. Personally I find digital flairs need alot of work to get them to feel natural.

Keith

mitch

whats there name?

ram

Sorry. They are called Streak filters, and come in different strengths depending on the spacing between the lines. I had a 2mm and a 3mm on hand but I don't recall the difference. Just tested it out in front of the lens and liked what I saw.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim van der Linden

The vertical streaks you're referring to are probably achieved by throwing the shutter out of phase, as described in numerous threads including This One

I saw the vantage pv-effect filter, looks very nice in the brochure (and very expensive to rent). what's the different between that to tiffen 2 point star filter?

thanks,