Focus Mystery

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

I recently shot this footage on my S-16 modified K-3. The text in the sign was completely in focus through the viewfinder when I began rolling. The first shot is from the first 3 frames which were in focus, then the 2nd still is about 6 frames later where it became out of focus and stayed that way through the rest of the scene. I will of course run a focus test on the camera, but I was interested in what might cause something like this...

Could it be:

1) The pressure plate not pressing the film properly? (I carefully check upon loading to see if its seated properly)

2) Something in the S-16 conversion causing issues? The gate's too big or something?

3) An issue with the transfer house? (this was done on what they call a "Y-Front" at Video Post & Transfer in Dallas, a very good telecine house in this market)

Any ideas would be appreciated, and I will shoot a focus chart to double check with each lens I have.

post-7911-1134006264.jpg

post-7911-1134006283.jpg

• Premium Member
1) The pressure plate not pressing the film properly? (I carefully check upon loading to see if its seated properly)

Don't know the K3 but I have seen that happen on other cameras when the pressure plate was loose.

-Tim