Fries Mitchell

Paul Bruening

Hey good folks,

Has anyone here made use of the Fries Mitchell? I'm negotiating with Bob to convert my 2-perf, rackover to reflex (mirror type). Are there any hidden short-comings to this system?

Hi Paul

We use 33 Fries Mitchells at Aardman, all converted by Bob, and all excellent quality. Well worth the cost. Ours just shot the Wallace and Gromit movie over 18 months and never dropped a shot.

I will say that probably the weakest part of the conversion is the video assist, it's a bit tricky to correct if it goes off center.

Luke

Edited by ljesmith

• Premium Member
Hey good folks,

Has anyone here made use of the Fries Mitchell? I'm negotiating with Bob to convert my 2-perf, rackover to reflex (mirror type). Are there any hidden short-comings to this system?

Hi,

The 35R3 conversion looses the adjustable focal plane shutter. This has the advantage that the camera won't flicker if the shutter is worn! and modern PL mounted lenses can be fitted. The down side is, its not any good for animation or time lapse without a capping shutter.

The 35R uses a beam splitter and retains light tight, but PL mounted lenses will hit the beam splitter so cant be used.

Aardman has converted Mitchell BNC's. They retain One blade of the focal plane shutter so they are still light tight, don't flicker and have a spinning mirror. The down side is BNCR lens mounts.

Bear in mind selling your converted camera with motor and video assist will get you only $10,000 on a Good day. Its not a good investment unless you have a project lined up.

Ken Stone was selling parts for a 2 perf conversion last year on E-bay. If he still has them for sale it would be cheaper to convert an existing reflex camera to 2 perf I think.

Good luck

Stephen