DS8, is it worth it?

Izreal

I just came in contact with a Canon DS8 camera and it looks sweet. I've read that it also gives a steadier image than regular super8 cameras. I also found that getting color film stock for these cameras is hard if not impossible, but I kept searching and searching and behold I found these guys http://www.8mmfilmstock.com/DS8.html

Would getting DS8 camera be worth it, or is this a dead issue?

I just came in contact with a Canon DS8 camera and it looks sweet. I've read that it also gives a steadier image than regular super8 cameras. I also found that getting color film stock for these cameras is hard if not impossible, but I kept searching and searching and behold I found these guys http://www.8mmfilmstock.com/DS8.html

Would getting DS8 camera be worth it, or is this a dead issue?

We'll I just found out that: www.8mmfilmstock.com/DS8.html, doesn't carry DS8 color film stock anymore.

Edited by Izreal

Guest uoliwils

If you read my and k25 post on the bolex topic you started, you probably understand the answer is not easy.

I still feel the bolex is a great camera, and I got very good results so far. But there are not many stocks available.

You can buy vision200/500 - 64t - plusx - trix and now velvia 50 and kodak 100d from wittner in super8.

DS8 is only k40 - foma100 - maybe velvia 50, but kodachrome is going too.

frame steadiness is not that better than super8, also.

good thing is you actually save some money on stock (foma 100r in the end costs half than plusx, 23-24Eurox60mt vs 13-14x15mt. colour stocks are - were - the same price) and development (andec charges 9/10 Euro for b/w film per cart, while foma 100 is 30 Euro for 60mt)

considering DS8 cameras are rare and quite expensive (at least the bolex - sometimes the canon too), I would say DS8 is not worth it.

I have to admit I bought my bolex because I was in that vision 100t order that didn't go through, and if it wasn't for the wonderful fomapan stock, I'd probably have sold it already.

david

Hi, (sorry canon ds-8 users) avoid the canon ds-8, crap glass when compared to bolex primes on a bolex ds-8 conversion. I have owned two canon ds-8, the glass is nowhere as good as say the 1014xls optics. K40 thru the canon ds-8 looked crap ( thats cos k40 is a crap stock compared to k25). I have messed with a lot of super 8 cameras and two ds-8 cameras. The sharpest images i have ever seen in the super 8 format were thru a bolex ds-8 with switar primes and k25 film. With the demise of ds-8 k40 soon, and no colour stocks on the horizon, avoid the ds-8 format. And dont touch the canon. Buy a mint leicina special instead.

Wittner have confirmed that they will be selling Velvia 50D in DS8.

Wittner also sell ORWO UN54 as a DS8 b/w (this is the same stock as Kahl 24). John Schwind has ordered and will soon get this. It can be processed either as reversal or neg.

Kahl Film now sell a colour neg stock - though I havn't heard of anyone using it, and they don't currently list it on their web site.

Is DS8 worth it? It is in terms of price of stock, but not choice. But it is useful if you shoot a lot of film on any one project. The 100' load is, of course, a drawback if you don't want to shoot a lot of footage, or if you want to change to another stock. Nothing beats super8 when it comes to a quick change. I find the ds8 just that bit easier to home process than the thiner super8.

I used a Canon DS8 and definitely got steadier images than Super 8. And im talking with a Beaulieu 6008S Digital!

The Canon DS8 Slo mo is stunning to watch. There is no cartridge jamming and the motion is smooth as silk. But....K25 might be right about K40. I abandoned DS8 when I found out that there wasn't any more K25 left. Kodachrome 25 was an awesome stock SO much better than K40.

So I was probably appreciating K25 more than I was the Canon DS8. The Canon does have a really nice viewfinder though and is very easy to focus.

But with the limited stocks..that keeps me away. But I do LOVE my Leicina! love it!

I used a Canon DS8 and definitely got steadier images than Super 8. And im talking with a Beaulieu 6008S Digital!

The Canon DS8 Slo mo is stunning to watch. There is no cartridge jamming and the motion is smooth as silk. But....K25 might be right about K40. I abandoned DS8 when I found out that there wasn't any more K25 left. Kodachrome 25 was an awesome stock SO much better than K40.

So I was probably appreciating K25 more than I was the Canon DS8. The Canon does have a really nice viewfinder though and is very easy to focus.

But with the limited stocks..that keeps me away. But I do LOVE my Leicina! love it!

Toatally agree with you Alan on all your comments. My canon ds-8 was steadier than my current beaulieu 7008, though my 6008 is a lot steadier than the 7008. Not much difference with the canon ds-8 and leicina special as regards steadiness, in fact i think my special is steadier!!!. Certainly k40 images are miles ahead in term of contrast, saturation and sharpness thru the leicina compared to the canon ds-8 lens. I only went for the ds-8 format as all 16mm k25 stocks became exhausted. Luckily i still have 25 rolls of k25 ds-8 in the fridge. After messing with canon and bolex ds-8 cameras, i decided to out the canon as i wasn't getting the very best image sharpness/contrast/saturation thru the canon. I would avoid the ds-8 format unless you get a proper bolex ds-8 conversion by this chap http://www.super8site.com/fanzine/aktuell/r_muster.shtml

Andy

I have an option to get a Boleh H8 Rex 3 with 1 roll of K25 and 1 roll of K40 at a good price but everytime I look through the viewfinder I feel like I cant see a thing!

Like a pinhole camera almost. So with only one roll of K25 to my name I think i'll stay away from DS8.

Under $500 shipped! Good price? This is a Bolex DS8 Rex III.

but it doesn't have the switars. It has one Pan-Cinor 8-40mm zoom

and a Som Berthiot 100 mm Cinor lens with a C mount all items in the original box.

I'll sell you my Bolex DS8 Rex III for $450. No lenses but it's got a 400' magazine attachment with a missing closing plate.

Under $500 shipped! Good price? This is a Bolex DS8 Rex III.

but it doesn't have the switars. It has one Pan-Cinor 8-40mm zoom

and a Som Berthiot 100 mm Cinor lens with a C mount all items in the original box.

Is a rex3 flat or round base, if flat base and the camera yields rock steady images thats a great price.

Andy